Warm Air Unit - Cupboard Door Replacment: Vents & Asbestos

Reaction score
Hi,

This is my first time posting here but I have been asking a lot of questions on another forum that I use. This seemed like a better place for my questions though.

At the start of the year I bought my flat and I have a Johnson & Starley warm air central heating unit (J25-32 Mk3). I'm looking at making some changes to the cupboard the unit is in - the cupboard current has an unattractive double door (top and bottom), as well has having an asbestos sheet attached to the inside of bottom door. I'm considering having the two doors safely removed (including the asbestos) and replaced with just one full cheap MDF door.

I've attached a few pictures of the cupboard, including a shot of the asbestos sheet, and I can supply more if needed. The warm air unit directs the warm air into the kitchen (the vent facing the camera) and into the living room, which is L shaped (the vent facing the far wall and the vent facing the wall to the left). The warm air unit draws in air from the living room (through a vent and ducting attached to the far wall) and the living room has a vent under the window to the outside for circulation. There is also a flue (possibly asbestos) that leads up to the roof, visible towards to the top/right rear of the cupboard.

Original Photos:

**Can't post due to my post count**

Asbestos Sheet:

The new cupboard door will have an area cut out near the bottom for the vent that directs the warm air into the kitchen but I'm not sure if I need to use an asbestos equivalent on the bottom half of the new door or if I still need the two vents (top and very bottom) that aren't currently attached to anything?

I've contacted Johnson and Starley with the above details and they emailed me a PDF of the installation and maintenance manual, but I'm not technical enough to fully understand it.

J&S said that I would need to keep the vents at the top and bottom of the doors, these are required and are referred to as compartment ventilation.

Also, they said the minimum distance from the heater to a combustible surface is 75mm and that there is no special requirements for materials that meet this requirement.

So, my main question is about a suitable asbestos equivalent to use on the inside of the door.

Can anyone help with this?

Many thanks,

Psycho :)

PS. This an edited photo of how I'm picturing the final cupboard door but I know it might have some changes:

Reaction score
You definitely need the compartment vents. These cool the appliance and provide air for complete combustion of the gas.
Look for "supalux" as a replacement for asbestos.
Pete

Ask a Question