Trying to find ceiling studs in old apartment

Reaction score
Country
Canada
So I'm at my wits end trying to mount a projector to the ceiling. I want to find a ceiling stud to screw the mount to, but am having no luck deducing where one might be.
IMG_20191127_152013.jpg

I live in a 6-unit apartment building first built somewhere in the 40s. I've got a neighbour above me so my ceiling is their floor.

I've attempted some conventional methods with no luck:
Stud finder, using a magnet to try and find nail heads, checking the wall next to outlets/light switches, drilling some holes at a few locations 15", 16", 17" & 23",24",25" from a wall and so far have not struck wood. Even tried tapping all over the ceiling to find the right sound

The light switches and receptacles all appear to be rear-mounted to wood instead of being nailed to the side of a wall stud. (I removed the one screw from this one to confirm it's wood behind)
IMG_20191127_152027.jpg

The walls and ceiling are both textured plaster on what I believe is gypsum sheets which are screwed to 3/4" slats that run perpendicular to the ceiling studs in question which are true 2x6s (2"x6" not 1.5"x5.5")

The bathroom has a drop ceiling that gives me a hint as to what the construction of the ceiling ought to look like across the apartment.
IMG_20191127_151931.jpg

IMG_20191127_151828.jpg

I even tried a peek into where I figured I'm guaranteed wood: the frame of the portal from the hall to the living room...just the wall board all the way through...
IMG_20191127_160058.jpg
IMG_20191127_160041.jpg

All that said, it seems like there's no rhyme or reason to what lurks behind these walls/ceiling and any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Ask a Question