Tankless water heater!!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
DIYers... for years I've always said... a tankless water heater is a waste of money unless you have natural gas. The cost of the electricity far outweighs the benefit of simply just having a tank. But I JUST bought a home that has natural gas, and now I need to put my money where my mouth is.

The home has the water heater in a closet next to the kitchen, which is strange, but works. It's a large closet that sits directly next to a pantry (second closet). I'd like to replace that huge tank and replace it with a tankless water heater. The home is newer (built in 2007), so it has all the safety stuff as it applies to gas, etc. I'm looking to do almost all the work myself, except for actually hooking up the gas (there is a shutoff valve though).

I wanted to get some ideas on what I should be looking to purchase. I'm less concerned with my families needs, and instead fitting the unit to properly meet the demands of what the house would be if fully occupied. The home has 5 bedrooms, and 3 full bathrooms. What should I be looking for when purchasing a tankless (natural gas) water heater, and what brands are most ideal?

The home already has the vent stack for the gas, plus the gas line, and I think it even has 220v in the closet too... though not sure if that's needed or not. It does also have 120v.

Thank you!!!

Ask a Question