Slight gas leak - cooker disconnected

Reaction score
I live in rented accommodation. I had a gas test carried out at beginning of year. The test passed. The form did say "permissible gas drop of half a MB". Recently I have just had another gas test carried out. This also passed. The person who carried out the test mentioned there was still a half a MB drop in gas pressure but this was within tolerance levels. However, the company who carried out the test contacted me and said they needed to do some more checks. They returned two days later. A half a MB drop in gas pressure was again detected. They said the problem was my gas cooker (and not the pipes) and wanted to disconnect it. I refused permission. They contacted the National Grid who came and disconnected my cooker. I was informed that I had no choice.

My question is: There was no smell of gas. If the drop in gas pressure is slight and within permissible limits, am I legally allowed to continue to use my cooker? (The test did pass two times this year, and the form did say my appliance (cooker) is safe to use. Surely if there was a problem the gas cooker would have been disconnected when the half MB drop in gas pressure was first detected?)

My second question is: The cooker is my property and not the landlord's. If the drop in gas pressure is slight and within permissible limits, do I have the right to decide whether or not the cooker is disconnected?

Has anybody had a similar experience?

Ask a Question