Rewiring a blower motor

Reaction score
My furnace blower motor burned out. It's a 240 volt 1/3hp 1050rpm 4speed 3.1amp 60hz single phase motor. All the replacement motors I can find, including from the manufacturer, only have 4 wires. The original has 5 wires. Is it possible to wire the new motor up and how? Can I splice the two 120volt legs and run it into the 240 leg? I really need an answer. My Mom is 83 and lives with me and the heat index here is the 100's. We are desperate because a repairman will charge us untold money and we are both disabled and lived on fixed incomes. If you can help, please reply your soonest.

Reaction score
Okay, the best resource for the replacement motor is the manufacturer of the equipment. If they do not have the exact model of the motor they will have the replacement model and the installation information.

Failing that normally any motor will have the wiring information on the motor housing. Usually it will show connections for 120 volt or 240 volt. There is no 240 volt wire. You have two 120 volt power lines (usually black and red), one Neutral (White) and one ground (Bare or Green). Can you take pictures of both motors so we can see what wires go where, please.

Ask a Question