Parweld XTT 202P TIG welder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Having reached our 43rd wedding anniversary and with my birthday imminent Bron kindly asked what I would like as a prezzie; I opted for a Parweld XTT 202P Tig welder. I had seen one on Gumtree where a guy had bought the welder brand new but never used it having it stored under his bench for a year so I ended up with a brand new welder at a nice price including delivery.

Once the welder arrived I unboxed it but couldn't try it out because it needed Argon gas as I intended to weld aluminium; eventually I bought the gas and having the welder loose with it's assorted hoses and gas cylinder for safety I made a welding trolley but used my oil filled arc welder to weld the trolley. I bought Tungstens; collets and collet holders for the torch; aluminium welding filler rods were bought as was a gas flow meter; then I bought two large sheets of aluminium; yes TIG welding doesn't come cheap and the cheap TIG welders don't weld aluminium these being DC machines only; the more expensive machines have both AC and DC; AC is needed for aluminium.

Whilst gathering all the kit I was working in the gardens but at last I finally tried TIG welding for the first time with terrible results; I couldn't see the weld puddle so quit to do a bit of research. Whilst browsing for TIG welding helmets on eBay I noticed helmets of the type I already have that I paid £35 for a few years ago; I've seldom used the helmet and only on arc welding where it was fine but I was taught to use a hand shield. What I hadn't realized was that the helmet I already have has adjustable lens and of course with my bad luck it was set at darkest #13 DOOOOOOOOOH.

I'm a member of a MIG welding forum and a member on the forum was stating how brilliant his new welding helmet was; this helmet at around £400 each through eBay is an Oprel Crystal 2.0

https://www.optrel.com/en/eye_protection_helmets/products/show/crystal20/

I collected my new helmet a few days ago but with working in the gardens couldn't play straight away with the welder. At last I had a clear day so I was keen to get into the workshop and have a proper go at TIG welding; WOW what a startling revelation this new helmet proved to be; I can use it for all my welding in future and it's absolutely brilliant. Now I could see the welding puddle but being a novice TIG welder was blowing holes in the aluminium; as I settled more I kept adjusting the welder controls and was finally making positive progress when there was an explosion followed by a dense cloud of smoke. My new welder had blown up big style. I quickly switched everything off and opened the workshop door to let the smoke disperse which was still billowing from the welder; satisfied the welder was now safe and not about to burst into flames it was mug of tea time and a think.

First job check the warranty; typical of my bad luck the warranty isn't transferable which doesn't surprise me at all so now I had expensive scrap and dashed hopes of TIG welding. I'm very used to restoring machinery before I use it but this is a first for me in restoring a brand new machine but as it wasn't covered by warranty out came the tools.

Blown welder_0006.JPG

I stripped the welder of its covers and above shows what confronted me; two blown electrolytic capacitors 1200uF 200V.

Blown welder_0007.JPG

The small circuit board had to be removed in order to gain access to a mounting screw for the larger board.

Blown welder_0008.JPG

The welder as it currently is sitting on the bench; new capacitors are ordered from RS and should arrive within the next few days; as I say nothing but bad luck; it's a bank holiday meaning a delay in receiving the capacitors.

Circuit board_0002.JPG

The underside of the circuit board; the two large square items to the left are full wave bridge rectifiers; not wanting to install two new capacitors with risk of blowing them again I've tested the rectifiers and they are in good working order giving readings each of .556V Had I not tested the rectifiers with my luck I'm sure they would have been faulty; when the capacitors arrive I'll install them then put the machine fully back together.

A WORD OF CAUTION: ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS ARE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS: THEY ARE PRONE TO BEING FULLY ELECTRICALLY CHARGED EVEN WITH POWER OFF AND ISOLATED FROM THE MAINS SUPPLY ALSO IF DYNAMICALLY TESTING THEY SHOULD NEVER EVER BE VIEWED END ON BECAUSE THEY CAN BLIND IF THEY EXPLODE.

I'm not in the least worried about the welder expiring just putting it down to my continuing bad luck. At first I thought due to my inexperience at TIG welding I had done something wrong to cause the problem but members on the welding forum assure me this is highly unlikely much to my relief.

Welders can be repaired professionally but possibly at high cost; I don't encourage anyone without electrical knowledge to even remove the covers of a machine of this kind; not only can electrolytic capacitors give a nasty shock just by handling a circuit board can cause lots of collateral damage to static sensitive electronic components.

Petrol tank_0002.JPG

I'm dreaming of TIG welding this new aluminium petrol mower tank I've made; I've seen similar on YouTube but I like to do things the hard way so decided domed ends would look better so I metal spun both domed ends on my Graduate woodturning lathe.

Petrol tank_0001.JPG

Above is the metal spinning wooden former being turned from hardwood; this is rough turning; it was finished to close tolerance allowing the domed ends to be a tight friction fit. The aluminium round tube I bought as a long length through eBay it's 4" diameter.

I'm only adding this thread for interest because it's unusual and the sort of thing I get up to whilst in my workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good detective work!

I wonder why those capacitors blew - did the welding forum have any thoughts as to why it happened? Are you getting the same ones, or ones rated at higher than 200V?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian. The welder had been bought new then stored under a bench for over a year before Bron bought it for me so in effect it was still a new welder. Unfortunately electrolytic capacitors have a shelf life and the ones installed are only rated shelf life 1000H so standing for a year plus however long it was before they were manufactured I think this to be the main reason they exploded. I'll not repeat myself because for anyone interested the story is on the welding forum;

https://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/threads/blown-my-welder-up.94007/

With my bad luck if anything can go wrong it will and if it can't go wrong it will. I've fully restored lots of things over the years but this is the first time I've had to restore a new machine. I'm still awaiting the new capacitors.

I'm using original spec caps Ian; it's tempting to upgrade to a higher voltage but I'm unfamiliar with the electronic circuits on this welder and charging higher voltage caps up might have a knock on effect destroying other components; I know you're very aware that just touching by fingers can destroy static sensitive components so I'm being careful.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I decided to upgrade the caps on the welder; not to increase uF value or voltage but to vastly increase quality at a high cost. The board has six identical caps installed and given that two of the original caps exploded the cheapest option would be to simply replace these two but I never ever bodge or take the easy way out. With all six caps identical I feel had I replaced just the two and reassembled the machine I'd never trust it expecting the next explosion at any time; the original caps from brand new only had a shelf life of 1000H which is ridiculous considering the caps could be in store for over this period before even being installed.

I've decided to upgrade from these cheap original caps to Kemet caps of the same value and voltage but they are slightly bigger and a great deal more expensive but with a shelf life of 3 years;

https://uk.farnell.com/kemet/alc80a122dd200/cap-1200uf-200v-alu-elec-qc-snap/dp/2950791

I have two Kemet caps which this morning I tried for fit and then installed them; I've now got four more of these on order for early delivery next week; the board is already prepared so once the Kemet caps arrive I can solder them straight in and reassemble the machine; I hope the exploding caps didn't cause collateral damage to other components but I'll know pretty soon; one thing is certain; with these new caps installed the board will be vastly superior to the spec when it was new.

Kind regards, Colin.

Capacitors_0003.JPG

The original caps removed and holes ready drilled to accept new caps.

Capacitors_0004.JPG

Two new Kemet caps soldered in four yet to do when they arrive.

Capacitors_0005.JPG

The original six caps these very poor quality indeed.

Reaction score
Very nice Colin. I’m relatively sure that thousand hour rating must be for when the welder is actually being used. Still, that’s only half a year at 40 hours per week.:oops: Be sure to update us after you get it repaired.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Doug. :) I believe shelf life starts immediately after production as is the case with capacitors; however the length of life of electrolytic capacitors can be significantly increased by reforming?

https://www.dfrsolutions.com/hubfs/Resources/services/Long-Term-Storage-of-Al-E-Capacitors.pdf

There is lots of information on the web regarding electrolytic capacitors with just an example above; I appear to have bought industrial rated capacitors in these Kemet's hence the much higher price I paid for them meaning if the welder runs after the repair I can relax not wondering when the next explosion would occur had I left the undamaged remaining four capacitors in place.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/shelf-life

I've just had a quick look for shelf life and above is an example. Food stuffs are generally sold with a "use before date".

I'd be interested if data were available as to how many of these circuit boards have failed in service.

I've restored vintage radios and having restored them ignored them for a long period of time only then when I switch on to be greeted with a loud bang as an electrolytic capacitor expired however things like TV's seldom suffer this due to the TV being in regular use; electrolytic capacitors don't like being unused and stored for a long period of time; at the moment I'm still unsure what actually caused the capacitors to explode on this welder but shelf life is my main suspect?

All I wanted to do was to have a go at TIG welding and Bron generously bought me the welder whilst since I've spent even more money on consumables and the new expensive welding helmet; I've actually had a go and it lasted less than ten minutes so far it's been hugely expensive for a ten minute hobby?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
I feel confident you will not only figure it out but will become extremely proficient at tig welding. Admit it - if everything had gone perfectly and there was nothing to repair, you would have felt let down. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You certainly know me Doug; I'd have passed out with shock had everything or indeed anything had gone to plan; thanks for your confidence I hope I can live up to it. :)

As usual not just one problem but problem one after another and this time the cooker oven couldn't wait to pack in; after checking part numbers etc I've just ordered and paid for a new oven element; genuine part of course it being a Stoves and costing £40 including next day delivery; a non genuine part could have been bought for half this but I think it false economy especially since it would most likely cost the £40 just for a service engineer call out?

I did a resistance test on the element just in case the fault lay elsewhere after all I've lived with bad luck for so long had I bought the element without checking the fault would most likely be the switch.

I had been working on the computer when the power went off and tripped one of the main RCD's so I knew it must be something major or just the mcb would have tripped; the RCD reset without problem and although I checked everything I couldn't find what caused the trip? The oven was still hot and the fan running so I discounted this until Bron said the dinner seems to be taking a long time to cook; so the welder is down and now the oven is down bring on the third because whatever it is I'll sort it out. o_O Twice I had to visit the workshop and twice my pet cloud Blackie was waiting for me; now I'm indoors the sun is shining.

Yes I think I'd be bored if things went to plan.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

An update. I replaced all six caps and was pleased when I fired the welder up intending to let it run for an hour before attempting to use it; the welder sounded fine and the panel was lit up for a few minutes until there was a loud click as the mcb tripped again?

Now I had serious problems because I didn't have a circuit schematic to work from. I emailed Parweld asking if they could please supply a schematic and also what a new power circuit board would cost this was yesterday.

I also emailed Wakefield Welding Centre asking for a rough quote regarding repairs?

Early this morning I received a welcome reply from Jim in Wakefield asking me to please leave it with him and he would get back to me tomorrow.

Also early this morning I received a reply from Parweld kindly sending me the schematic and also asking for more information regarding the board identification. I went down to the workshop and noted all the details on the board then returned to my computer but I then noticed a second email from Jim asking me to please phone him which I immediately did.

It's a good job I was sitting down because I filled up with emotion as Jim explained he had been in touch with Parweld upon my behalf who in turn had agreed with jim to repair my welder under warranty which I'm truly thankful for. I've already met Jim as I took my welder over to him and a bonus is I now know where to buy welding consumables in future. I'm just amazed.

TOP MARKS WAKEFIELD WELDING CENTER AND ALSO HOPEFULLY WHEN THE WELDER IS RETURNED IN FULL WORKING ORDER TOP MARkS TOO TO PARWELD: I'M DELIGHTED AND CAN NOW GET ON WITH MY LIFE. :)

The oven element also arrived from espares this morning and within five minutes we had a fully working oven again. What a good day for a change and at last my continuing bad luck is changing for the better.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

You might want to check - Blackie might be gone too. :)
Many thanks Doug. Miracles don't happen; puddles again this morning before the day gets under way and it's dark. Unfortunately Blackie has taken a lifelong shine to me for some reason; his sister Gale has also been here over the last few days too but then this is normal. :(

Hopefully the four roller blinds will arrive today then I can trim them to size and install them ticking another job off; I still dream of getting into the workshop without jobs hanging over me all the time but I can dream on. I wonder if the family of badgers have been digging in the garden again leaving a big deep hole; it never lets up here doing what I have to do rather than what I'd like to do; I'm not bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

An update because things have moved on apace since my last post.

The Parweld welder is now a beauty; returned from Parweld having had most of it's electronics replaced; Parweld were brilliant and I can fully recommend them and this welder.

With the welder now fully repaired I started to use lots of pure argon gas in low pressure hobby 9L sized cylinders so I've now got a BOC account using high pressure 20L cylinders and I've got my third full BOC cylinder ready for more welding.

I learned metal spinning and now have learned tig welding aluminium;

Practice welds_0001.JPG

Tig welding aluminium isn't easy but with lots of practice I got there.

Tank finished_0001.JPG

Filler neck welded on to aluminium petrol tank.

Petrol tanks_0002.JPG

The second aluminium petrol tank I made; the welds aren't pretty but are strong and they were to be brought flush as seen in picture below.

Petrol tanks_0005.JPG

The original steel tank top right with two new tanks I made shown finished. The welds on the round tank are much neater because they would be shown. Tank filler necks and caps are available through eBay at reasonable prices. The bottom tank is my first effort at panel beating which turned out well.

MK 2 mower tank._0007.JPG

The tank ends being panel beaten; the bottom end was beaten as a single piece which proved very difficult indeed; the top end I cut and welded making it quicker and easier. A steep learning curve but highly enjoyable.

I'm now into induction heating because I've been brazing TC tips onto tooling for a friend; I've already made twenty of these but MAPP gas is expensive so I've been buying lots of kit to play around with to make one of these;

I'm awaiting delivery of the heater and power supply also the water pump. I'm also going to experiment brazing these TC tips using a microwave transformer; I've wound many transformers so am very familiar with how they work;

I don't want to melt metal but I've got a few ideas as how to tame the output for my needs; all I want is sufficient heat to bring the tool body and TC tip to cherry red heat.

If only I could spend more time in the workshop; our bungalow and gardens are demanding during this rare warmer weather and by 11:30 this morning I'd worked myself to a standstill shredding brash in the rear garden; now I've cooled down and had a rest I'm OK again but I sure felt ill with all the hard grafting; I'm only 72 surely I'm not slowing down already? I'm never bored. ;)

Kind regards, Colin.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That is a fantastic result Colin, you always do such a neat job when you tackle things.

I'm intrigued about this induction heater and microwave transformer. Just watched those videos and that induction heater doesn't half put out some power :eek:.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks for your kind comments Ian which are appreciated. I can't understand people who turn out or accept shoddy inferior work getting no self satisfaction or pride when all it takes for a top job is just a little bit more effort.

As you know Ian I'm into all kinds of things that really aren't classed as DIY but are of great interest to me as I leave my comfort zone to tackle new things. I've been aware of induction heating for many years but never looked into the process until very recently on a need to know basis. I'm finding induction heating to be fascinating and I'm very familiar with transformers having wound lots of transformers over the years; I've now bought a commercial Microwave oven transformer;

1588157461032.png

This puts out around twice the output of a domestic microwave oven. At 2 Volts it will put out 975 amps which should be well on top of my requirements; I'll need to experiment regarding the amps needed to braze the TC tooling I'm playing with but by choosing the correct cable and number of turns for the secondary winding I hope to tame it making it less fierce hence more controllable; I hasten to add this kind of work/project must not be attempted by a raw novice who could be electrocuted.

I've also emailed an electrical waste recycling company asking if they can kindly supply microwave oven transformers because even a domestic sized transformer would be well to play with; it's surprising where a project will take me once I start and as I ride the project through I learn new skills and usually come into contact with people only too willing to help me once I explain my mad ideas.

I have a Pickhill Bantam oil cooled arc welder and now I'm interested in induction heating I initially had a problem finding a suitable power supply but then wondered if the Bantam could double up as welder and power supply? I'm becoming very interested/involved with this induction heating and one idea was to check the output voltage of the welder as I know the output amps which are conveniently adjustable up to 180A. I'm even unsure at the moment whether the welder is running AC or DC output; if it's AC then I can easily convert this to DC using a suitable full wave bridge rectifier and capacitor/s. It's all buzzing around in my head at the moment but I'm sure this is something you too would like playing with.

Hopefully I'll be able to add a new thread covering the induction heating and transformer heating once I get these up and running.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I feel sure you;re not only going to find it out, but are going to become highly skilled in tig welding. Admit it, you would have felt let down if
everything had gone smoothly and there was nothing to correct.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks spencerross. There's nothing like lots of hardship to make one appreciate something and yes had it been easy it would have proved too boring to do more. Over the last few months I've done very little mostly due to Covid upsetting everything and our dire weather making going into the workshop more of a chore than a pleasure.

The last couple of days though it's been a bit warmer outside so has cheered me up and I've finally reacquainted myself with my workshop and toys; I'm assembling a cyclone dust extractor and making good progress; today I sprayed metal supports for the trolley using rattle cans of auto paint and also I gave first coat of polyurethane varnish to the wooden parts. Once again I came across a problem; connecting the hoses to the cyclone was a lot more difficult to do than I ever imagined; there aren't any suitable connectors so in the end I turned my own out of hardwood holly; these are a tight fit in the cyclone but a nice friction fit for the hoses; it was the tapers needed that caused the problem.

Cyclone_0001.JPG

One of the two adapters turned from holly; both adapters are different sizes. I enjoyed a bit of lathe work though once I decided what to do.
Cyclone_0001_01.JPG

The two plywood shelves for the new cyclone trolley I'm making having just had their first coat of varnish; the Henry vac will sit on one the cyclone on the other and castors will be installed to make the trolley mobile.
Cyclone_0002.JPG

Here is the set up on rough test just to make certain it all works and it does in fact it works a treat even Henry is happy.
Cyclone_0002_01.JPG

The cyclone mounted on the bin lid having just been varnished.
Cyclone_0003_01.JPG

Two metal supports for the shelves I welded from offcuts of steel I had to hand; nothing fancy; I used my oil cooled Pickhill Bantam to weld these. It's been a depressing period with Covid all around us and we've been in lockdown for such a long time being in one of Covid hotspots and of course our dire weather; it's been incredibly frustrating but this last couple of days in the workshop has brought the smile back to my face and with springtime to look forward to I'm happy again. When I do varnishing then I can't use the workshop until the varnish dries; the fumes from the varnish and rattle cans are unhealthy; tomorrow assuming the first coat of varnish has dried I'll apply the second coat then I can start assembly; the new castors are due to arrive so I'm looking forward to completing this interesting project then I can move on to other projects.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

More progress this morning; the new trolley assembled and all the woodwork given the second and final coat of varnish; the varnish is now drying and tomorrow I can add the vac and cyclone; next week when the castors arrive the trolley will be made mobile.

I dropped a 6mm hex nut only for it to disappear into the workshop full time black hole?

Kind regards, Colin.

Cyclone_0001_02.JPG

If I'm to reuse a paint brush the next day I simply wrap it tightly to exclude air in polythene; saves cleaning it.
Cyclone_0002_02.JPG

Here's what I use for brush cleaning; I bought these 13 years ago and they are brilliant quickly cleaning brushes.
Cyclone_0004.JPG

The cyclone it's lid having just received finish coat of varnish so it's still wet.
Cyclone_0005.JPG

The trolley now assembled and with wet varnish; I'll be pleased to complete this extractor then move on to the next interesting project.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That looks so much better than my cyclone vac! Nice work, especially with the holly adaptors :D. I built a temporary mount for my cyclone extractor, directly on top of my workshop vac - it looks a little janky, but works well. In time I'll build something a little more permanent on a movable trolley, similar to yours.

Something that I found useful to add was a pressure relief valve, as if the inlet gets blocked, the bucket I used started to deform slowly. I added a spring mounted plunger to the top of the cyclone (I used PVC pipe, as that fitted all my accessories). The spring tension is adjusted using a nut, so the valve only activates when the block is significant and opens up a bypass.

Vac.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Ian; it looks like a neat solution how you've coupled the vac to the cyclone; these cyclones certainly work well don't they. The new castors arrived today so next session in the workshop I'll install them and sort out how to attach the lid to the bucket; I might use Bungee cords?

I can understand you using a pressure relief valve but I'll see how I get on with my set up; the Screwfix plasterers bucket is strong; I might end up modifying once it's been in use and tested but it's going to be much better than no dust extraction; I used to have a big home made 3 phase dust extractor but disposed of it once I sold my big 3 phase machines. I still need to add extraction outlets to the machines so I might end up playing with my Tig welder welding aluminium sheet?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,

Having reached our 43rd wedding anniversary and with my birthday imminent Bron kindly asked what I would like as a prezzie; I opted for a Parweld XTT 202P Tig welder. I had seen one on Gumtree where a guy had bought the welder brand new but never used it having it stored under his bench for a year so I ended up with a brand new welder at a nice price including delivery.

Once the welder arrived I unboxed it but couldn't try it out because it needed Argon gas as I intended to weld aluminium; eventually I bought the gas and having the welder loose with it's assorted hoses and gas cylinder for safety I made a welding trolley but used my oil filled arc welder to weld the trolley. I bought Tungstens; collets and collet holders for the torch; aluminium welding filler rods were bought as was a gas flow meter; then I bought two large sheets of aluminium; yes TIG welding doesn't come cheap and the cheap TIG welders don't weld aluminium these being DC machines only; the more expensive machines have both AC and DC; AC is needed for aluminium.

Whilst gathering all the kit I was working in the gardens but at last I finally tried TIG welding for the first time with terrible results; I couldn't see the weld puddle so quit to do a bit of research. Whilst browsing for TIG welding helmets on eBay I noticed helmets of the type I already have that I paid £35 for a few years ago; I've seldom used the helmet and only on arc welding where it was fine but I was taught to use a hand shield. What I hadn't realized was that the helmet I already have has adjustable lens and of course with my bad luck it was set at darkest #13 DOOOOOOOOOH.

I'm a member of a MIG welding forum and a member on the forum was stating how brilliant his new welding helmet was; this helmet at around £400 each through eBay is an Oprel Crystal 2.0

mobile welder atlanta

I collected my new helmet a few days ago but with working in the gardens couldn't play straight away with the welder. At last I had a clear day so I was keen to get into the workshop and have a proper go at TIG welding; WOW what a startling revelation this new helmet proved to be; I can use it for all my welding in future and it's absolutely brilliant. Now I could see the welding puddle but being a novice TIG welder was blowing holes in the aluminium; as I settled more I kept adjusting the welder controls and was finally making positive progress when there was an explosion followed by a dense cloud of smoke. My new welder had blown up big style. I quickly switched everything off and opened the workshop door to let the smoke disperse which was still billowing from the welder; satisfied the welder was now safe and not about to burst into flames it was mug of tea time and a think.

First job check the warranty; typical of my bad luck the warranty isn't transferable which doesn't surprise me at all so now I had expensive scrap and dashed hopes of TIG welding. I'm very used to restoring machinery before I use it but this is a first for me in restoring a brand new machine but as it wasn't covered by warranty out came the tools.

View attachment 2368

I stripped the welder of its covers and above shows what confronted me; two blown electrolytic capacitors 1200uF 200V.

View attachment 2369

The small circuit board had to be removed in order to gain access to a mounting screw for the larger board.

View attachment 2370

The welder as it currently is sitting on the bench; new capacitors are ordered from RS and should arrive within the next few days; as I say nothing but bad luck; it's a bank holiday meaning a delay in receiving the capacitors.

View attachment 2371

The underside of the circuit board; the two large square items to the left are full wave bridge rectifiers; not wanting to install two new capacitors with risk of blowing them again I've tested the rectifiers and they are in good working order giving readings each of .556V Had I not tested the rectifiers with my luck I'm sure they would have been faulty; when the capacitors arrive I'll install them then put the machine fully back together.

A WORD OF CAUTION: ELECTROLYTIC CAPACITORS ARE DANGEROUS COMPONENTS: THEY ARE PRONE TO BEING FULLY ELECTRICALLY CHARGED EVEN WITH POWER OFF AND ISOLATED FROM THE MAINS SUPPLY ALSO IF DYNAMICALLY TESTING THEY SHOULD NEVER EVER BE VIEWED END ON BECAUSE THEY CAN BLIND IF THEY EXPLODE.

I'm not in the least worried about the welder expiring just putting it down to my continuing bad luck. At first I thought due to my inexperience at TIG welding I had done something wrong to cause the problem but members on the welding forum assure me this is highly unlikely much to my relief.

Welders can be repaired professionally but possibly at high cost; I don't encourage anyone without electrical knowledge to even remove the covers of a machine of this kind; not only can electrolytic capacitors give a nasty shock just by handling a circuit board can cause lots of collateral damage to static sensitive electronic components.

View attachment 2372

I'm dreaming of TIG welding this new aluminium petrol mower tank I've made; I've seen similar on YouTube but I like to do things the hard way so decided domed ends would look better so I metal spun both domed ends on my Graduate woodturning lathe.

View attachment 2373

Above is the metal spinning wooden former being turned from hardwood; this is rough turning; it was finished to close tolerance allowing the domed ends to be a tight friction fit. The aluminium round tube I bought as a long length through eBay it's 4" diameter.

I'm only adding this thread for interest because it's unusual and the sort of thing I get up to whilst in my workshop.

Kind regards, Colin.
I'm totally new to any welding, I have a motorbike I'll be working on and hopefully doing more as a hobby in the future. Having taken everything on board I've decided the Parweld will be my best option based on function, price, reliability, support. I know people will have opinion on this and I've tried my best to take on everyones comments. Realistically the stealth is the second option if I'm buying new.

Given black friday approaches I'm just looking to maximise on any discount I can get my hands on. So far it looks like Migtigark are best price but I'll also need to get mask, rods, gloves and maybe more tips.

I keep looking for second hand but it's not easy finding something I trust and most are collection only anyway.

I'll take the advice given willingly.

Thanks.

Ask a Question