Large hole in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’ve stripped off some old wallpaper and a lot of the wall has come away with it. It’s left a pipe exposed and a cable. I’m pretty sure these are both redundant.
what’s the best way to fill this hole?
Also is it ok to fill the hole around the pipe and cable or do I need to protect these somehow?

Attachments

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

How bad is the rest of the wall?

If you tap it does it sound hollow?
Is there likely to be any more of the plaster falling off?

If the rest of the wall is in reasonable condition and you're not likely to be banging a nail in that position to hang a picture, just fill it with Pollyfilla.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi and welcome.

If the rest of the wall is in reasonable condition and you're not likely to be banging a nail in that position to hang a picture, just fill it with Pollyfilla.
Rest of the wall is pretty good actually.
Great, thanks. So it’s not a problem filling ontop of the pipe and cable without protecting them?

Reaction score
Rest of the wall is pretty good actually.
Great, thanks. So it’s not a problem filling ontop of the pipe and cable without protecting them?

Well, they weren't protected before were they?

And how long had they been like that?
As long as you don't bang a nail through it, you'll be fine.

Reaction score
I’ve stripped off some old wallpaper and a lot of the wall has come away with it. It’s left a pipe exposed and a cable. I’m pretty sure these are both redundant.
what’s the best way to fill this hole?
Also is it ok to fill the hole around the pipe and cable or do I need to protect these somehow?
Hi,
Cut away loose, damaged drywall and use a thin plywood backing about 2 inches wider than the hole. Place the plywood backing behind the hole using a temporary screw to hold the plate, secure the plate to the wall with drywall screws. Place several layers of spackling filler until dry and flush with the wall surface, and paint.

Reaction score
Don't ever assume anything about pipes or cables.
The son of a plumber friend of mine was nearly killed when he "assumed" that the "lead pipe" he cut through was a lead water pipe. It wasn't. It was a lead sheathed, very live electricity cable.
Unless you are 200% certain that the cable is disconnected at both ends and the pipe does not carry gas, oil or water, then I would protect with steel channel.
It's bad practice to bury any pipe or cable directly into plaster or whatever.
If you are feeling brave and competent, you could remove some insulation with an insulated electricians knife from the cable and check with a good meter against a known ground. Don't forget that the supply could be turned off somewhere else. It's why electricians use their own padlocks to lock of main switches. Even dead cables can show an induced "ghost" voltage on a meter.
On the same lines, you could drill a minute hole in the pipe, assuming copper and see what comes out. Have at hand some emergency leak sealer or a repair sleeve.

Reaction score
Hi and welcome.

Hi,
Cut away loose, damaged drywall and use a thin plywood backing about 2 inches wider than the hole. Place the plywood backing behind the hole using a temporary screw to hold the plate, secure the plate to the wall with drywall screws. Place several layers of spackling filler until dry and flush with the wall surface, and paint.
Sorry, I didn't look closely at your photo. The wall material appears to be concrete and not drywall plaster, you'll need a wire backing to anchor the plaster patch and not fill the hole around the pipe.

Reaction score
Sorry, I didn't look closely at your photo. The wall material appears to be concrete and not drywall plaster, you'll need a wire backing to anchor the plaster patch and not fill the hole around the pipe.
Also, the existing material may contain asbestos, so work safely. Check "asbestos in wall pladter" on the Internet.

Ask a Question