How to replace siding between brick veneer and wall studs

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,
I'm hoping you can help me with something. I read the FAQ/Rules and I have tried to follow them and provide everything. Apologies if I've missed anything.

A few weeks ago our carpet was soaking wet after a heavy rain. After examining a number of things, I found that water was coming in from a bad downspout, down our brick, and seeping through into the interior. So I tore down the dry wall (covered in mold), pulled out the insulation, and the plywood between the brick and the outside of the wall was sopping wet, moldy, and rotted. See the pics attached for what it looks like when it's all taken down.

I've had roofer and gutter guys come to fix the problem the water routing problem and a masonry contractor is fixing and sealing the brick. I'll be scrubbing the studs to remove mold and removing the rest of the old plywood barrier (at least in the parts where there is mold/rot).

So now I have to put everything back together on the interior. The problem is that I don't know what to do in the space between the studs and the brick. There used to be a plywood barrier with (I think) tar paper on the outside. But that was put on the house from the outside prior to the brickwork and so there's no way to replace that now. I have no idea what to put there now. Should I try to put plywood between the studs and insulation on that? I assume there's code that I need to follow. Any advice very much welcomed. Hoping to do it myself as I'm pretty handy, but if I have to call someone in it'd be great to know the type of contractor you'd contact.

I live just outside Seattle, Washington, if that helps.

Thank you!

Chris

Attachments

Reaction score
If I were doing this job I would be removing and replacing all the 2x4s with discoloration. That wood is in the early stages of rot and may come back to haunt you in the future. The plywood could be pieced in with adhesive after the uprights are removed and before the new ones are installed.

Ask a Question