double sided wall furnace: pilot light goes out when heat kicks on

Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

I am new to the forum and was hoping someone could help me try to diagnose this situation

I have an older double sided natural gas wall furnace - you know, the kind that is about 4 ft high with vents that run the length and gives off heat on both sides of the wall it is in - in this case a kitchen and living room.

Well it is old, but has done a great job the last 2 years.

Well this year turning it on, the pilot lights right up no problem. Turned the temp up on the thermostat and after a little while it kicks on the heater.. and it burns for a few minutes, then the pilot goes out.

I repeated this several times- even just let the pilot burn overnight to make sure it wasn't air in the line, etc...

It just seems to die when ever the heat kick on.

I thought it might be that the vent which goes up through the wall and into the attic where it elbows into a cinderblock chimney might be clogged - thus sending the hot air back down and putting out the pilot.

Talking to some chimney sweeps however, they thought that is not likely even though often thought to be the cause.

Any suggestions on what it could be and how to diagnose this??

Last edited:

Ask a Question