Damp Proofing

Reaction score
I didn't know where to put this topic - so I hope its in the right area...

I have identified rising damp in one of my properties :(, and want to treat it myself - I read around the topic a little bit and asked a few friends.

My understanding is that I need to perform a DPC treatment (cream injection) and then re-render with some sort of additive the wall up to where the damp has risen.

Firslty is this the correct method???

Secondly - what products would people advise??

Appreciate any help you can give.

Cheers

Reaction score
Hi, I have an old property that I'm working on by myself and with professionals.

The method we have used in the Cellar seams to have worked...

My walls have been "tanked" which is basically putting about 7 coats of various chemicals directly onto the brick.

I stripped all the old plaster from the walls, applied a coat of chemicals and once dried apply another coat. each coat slightly differing in mixture.
Once the several coats are dry I have then used Gyproc Thremaline board to insulate the wall.

The chemicals used to "tank" the wall are SBR/PVA with a little cement and some tile adhesive to the last coat.

I do not know the exact mix as this is my builders own version of the colonels secret recipe!!

Not sure if that helps or if people will agree.. I only joined today....

Reaction score
I would recommend a french drain sloping to a sump pump. I have such a setup in my basement. After the house has been built most efforts to block the water are futile in the long run short of digging on the outside to the bottom of the wall and waterproofing from that side IMO.

Ask a Question