Coping with Progress.

Reaction score
This was the type of handle I had on my old electric golf trolley.

e_1244-1.jpg

This trolley lasted me twenty years. The only replacements that I had to make was everything except the naffin' chassis, at least once!
It worked well. There was an off/on switch and a potentiometer to adjust the speed. you could guide the trolley with your right hand and at the same time adjust the speed with your index finger. The only downside was the heavy 12v car battery needed to power it, which you had to lug in and out of your car boot every time you went to play golf.

So I treated myself to a new one at the end of last year. Big difference, lithium battery that only weighs a couple of pounds.

Problem. A highly sensitive on/off speed control. Centre button to turn it on once the battery is connected, Outer ring for on/of speed control,

proxy.duckduckgo.com.jpg

When at rest, just brush against it reaching for a club from your bag and you've turned it on increased the speed and it's away!

It needed a guard to prevent this happening.

Solution. a 25p waste pipe bracket,

P1020181.JPG

a hacksaw, Stanley knife and a hot airgun.

Job done.

P1020184.JPG

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
I never knew such a thing existed. :confused:
Why are you confused?

Few golfers "carry" at this time of the year. I do have a "carry" bag. As you put it down there are two legs that come ou to keep it upright. I only use it if trolleys are banned at any time to save damage to the course.
Electric trolleys are used more frequently than pull ones.
There's a lot of weight to move arouind if you have, as many do, a "tour bag," which holds your clubs, additional clothing, a flask, something to eat after nine holes, etc.,

This is mine. It was new in Noovember, I look after it. The trolley is the most popular model. Although a refinement available is the facility to send it a choice of three distances towards the next tee, whilst you're putting out on a green.

The battery is contained between the wheels, it just clips in, no wires to connect, it's only a couple of inches thick . Here I'm using "winter wheels." they give a better grip than the standard ones I use at other times.
Extras include an umbrella holder attached to the handle and a cup holder on the other side. A game usually lasts between three and a half and four hours. We can play in all weathers if we've started a game. But I won't leave home if it is raining. I usually play three times a week "weather permitting..

I've had these irons and putter about ten years now. The three fairway woods less and the driver was new in November.

It's not a cheap hobby, club membership is around £1,000 a year, (all that money goes back into the club), but then you can play as often as you like, which for frequent players brings the price of an individual round down to just a few pounds..

If I had to replace everything you see all at the same time, I'd get no change out of £2,000.

P1010019.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
There's even more technology. You can now buy a watch for under £100, that has GPS.
It will tell you on any golf course wherever you are on any fairway, exactly how far away you are from the centre of the next green.

A few years ago a friend got one for his birthday from his wife. Three of us were playing one afteernoon on the first day he used it. All three of us hit drives of about the same length. The guy with the watch and I were close on one side of the fairway .our other friend's ball was on the other side. When we reached our balls he walked across the fairway to us and grabbed the friend with the watch's wrist and looked at it.

"That pin's not 215 yards away." He said

I replied looking at my watch, "Correct! It's not. But it is a quarter past two!"

That feature is incorporated into a different model of my trolley.

I've never really though that they were of much advantantage. There are markers on every fairway, (except the par threes) at 200, 150 and 100 yards from every green. It's simple enough when you reach the marker nearest your ball to pace out how many yards it's beyond it and thus how close you are to the green.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That bracket is a perfect fit :D. You'd think they would have done some testing when manufacturing the carrier, as it looks like it would be a common problem. At least you got a good workaround :).

Ask a Question