Broken roof tile repair.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I managed to break the corner from one of our roof tiles; we have spare tiles but when I installed the roof 30 years ago I clipped and nailed every tile so trying to remove the broken tile could easily damage more tiles; I wondered if I could repair the tile so browsed the web and YouTube for information.

This video was very interesting but the adhesive isn't available here in the UK. Not to be beaten I then browsed the web looking for similar adhesive and found The Roofing Superstore;

https://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/sikaflex-ebt-grey-300ml.html

I sent an enquiry email explaining my needs and received a quick reply so bought the product shown as they suggested.

A five minute job and the tile is repaired; I scrubbed the broken piece of tile in the kitchen sink and I'd just pressure washed the roof so with everything dry and the joint clean I can now forget the job it being one of the easiest repairs I've ever carried out.

Kind regards, Colin.

Broken tile_0001.JPG
Broken tile_0002.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Aren’t the new adhesives wonderful?
They sure are but the problem is knowing about them there are so many. I only found out a roof tile could be repaired through curiosity and a web search. YouTube too is brilliant but needs using with common sense because some of the videos encourage dangerous working practices; a regular dangerous practice is using a saw bench without riving knife installed?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi Colin
I'm surprised you haven't come across these wonderful adhesives.
There are a few of these all-purpose adhesives around.
I started off using Geocel (Dow Corning) "The Works" around the house, but before that, while gainfully working, I had used them in wet situations as they cure allegedly even under water.
Sika EDT is just another example. Another one is CT100. Sika is slightly cheaper and they are a helpful company for advice.
I too have fixed tiles like your concrete tiles. Very thorough to clip and nail every one, but roofers get away with doing every 5th row in my experience. Being able to push tiles back has helped me out many times.
Amongst other uses, I repaired a large leaking rainwater tank from the outside using a mixture of glass fibre mat and Sika and is still leak-free after quite a few years. That repair was with at least 1.5-metres depth of water and considering the tank was polyethylene, it worked where even welding failed
Joining worktops another, repairing polycarbonate roofing, waterproof timber adhesive, the list goes on.
First choice now instead of silicones.
The downside is they aren't half messy. Have a large bottle of white spirit handy if wearing the Sunday best

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks piglet for your interesting information. The reason I've never come across these adhesives is never really needing them always preferring mechanical fasteners and old fashioned stuff like linseed oil putty; I've seen pages of assorted sealants and adhesives in the Screwfix bible but they always seemed to be for specific jobs and of variable quality and price; however piglet thanks to your information I've now bought two cartridges of Geocel The Works through eBay. I'm sure they'll come in handy. I'm a dinosaur too when it comes to plastic for homes; I always think I'd be living in a Lego set if we didn't have wooden window frames and doors. We pay the money and take our choice.

Thanks also for the modern way roofers secure roof tiles; we live on a very exposed valley side where we endure extremes of weather; no way was I going to give the high winds a chance of blowing our roof tiles off; yes I clipped and nailed every tile I also used correct tile slips under the ridge and verges it being the wet system; special aluminium blocking pieces were also used at the eaves to deter bugs. I researched how to install a roof for 18 months before my wife and I installed our roof; it's all paid off though.

I'm an experienced glass fiber laminator being employed as such in the early seventies; we were on production and would catalyze 5 gallon of resin at a time; we always worked just the right side of panic; starting work each day first job prepare the moulds and gel coat them in readiness for the ten minute break at 9 o'clock; break over and gel coat nice and tacky then crack on with the mat and resin; me on a big lambswool roller at the end of a long pole my chum on the roller; we used to cut the side away from a 5 gallon plastic container; tools washed out in buckets of acetone; at the shift end off with my boiler suit and wellingtons and stand both together still joined; I've had some first class jobs (NOT).

Thanks for the link losseke; I've had a look and the product quoted is to be discontinued but included is a link to a similar product; it looks good.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hi Colin
You are one of the thorough ones.
One telling thing is that you actually repaired the tile. Most folk wouldn't notice it, let alone fix it. Keep away from the edges when walking up the roof.
I hate the plastic as well, but it is a British thing.
Go across the Channel and the gutters etc. are galvanised. Better still go to Germany and they make rainwater stuff into an artform (Lindap) and lovely zinc roofs.
About the only thing going for stuff like PVC doors and windows have in their favour is that they are easily i.e. almost anyone, can fabricate them to fit existing holes. On a cost basis, I had to use them, but anywhere else I would use something like Velfac.
With many things, you have to look at what the professionals use. Down in the South, the Police and Ambulance services use Mercedes Sprinters, generally the 6-cylinder automatics. In cold climates, they use "warm" roofs, fully sarked with timber. Standard practice in most of the UK is rafter, felt, batten, tile - no wonder most lofts are damp and draughty.
I converted my "cold" roof to "warm" by installing Celotex underneath the rafters and taping all the gaps - now it's dry and warm.
I don't like the sound of all that acetone - extremely flammable and not good for the lungs. At least you survived.
Real roofing is an art as well. Forget trusses etc and go for what the USA call "cut roofs". Highly complex angles. Individual, not factory mass produced. Trussed roofs are a pain. Everywhere you move you hit some part of your body.
One final use for EBT (EDT my mistake). I used it to fix shower risers and other fittings in the shower. A lot easier than drilling tiles and still there after years of wetting.
I agree about the variety of adhesives. I bought some Loctite All Plastics Super Glue to stick some not difficult plastic. Absolute rubbish. Must be the most expensive liquid after printer ink around. The tube leaked, glued the cap on and the bond didn't last five minutes.
All you need is Screwfix Mitre Bond and Araldite. Loctite used to be a respected brand, but seem to have gone down the pan.
Best wishes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks piglet for your interesting and informative reply. I usually work on a "need to know" basis; if I'm doing something new then I do my research first before even starting. Initially I learned from my mistakes but I've also learned a great deal by reading books and now of course we have the web and marvelous YouTube. There's no excuse to do a shoddy job using the absolute basic materials; many spend ages on preparation then ruin it by the finish.

There's only one way to do a job; do it right first time.

Modern roof trusses are a joke; one wagon load of these would be enough for an housing estate they look so flimsy; "I" beams that can be lifted with one hand constructed like an RSJ; I'd never put my faith into such things. When we installed our roof; it was counter battened to aid ventilation and lift the tiles clear of the under cloaking; full length strip ventilator along the eaves; all wooden fascia's fully sealed with paint before installation; absolutely no skimping with labour or materials.

Professional roofers spent many months replacing the kitchen roof next door; two of them the boss with twenty years experience and I simply couldn't believe how they worked. Both very decent guys to get along with. This is so typical these days. Next door the other side there are two guys working; I think they are repointing; as I cleaned our car this morning one of these guys did the usual strut in front of our bungalow; mobile phone in one hand cigarette in his other hand; how do these guys ever get any work done; listening to him on the phone was bad enough but it's truly amazing how one cigarette pollutes so much atmosphere; I dislike smoking and certainly dislike passive smoking I was pleased when he moved away leaving me in peace. I've nothing against anyone smoking but I'm against having to join in.

The marine ply I ordered has just arrived; it's a 4' x 2' piece; how strange that there are only two ways to quarter an 8' x 4' sheet of ply and this piece the grain runs across; it looks much better than the WBP ply though. Now I can crack on with the panels; looks like a full day in the workshop tomorrow; whoopee.

Kind regards, Colin.

Modern roof _0001.JPG

Two roofers spent ages installing this small roof and this is the result.

Modern roof _0002.JPG

Why not invite rain in; fascia left like this for a few weeks.

Modern roof _0003.JPG

Roofing felt not required just use a pond liner? The roofers have been back at least twenty times before the roof worked as it should; a length of fascia has now been added to direct water into the gutter. When the main roof was replaced about 30 years ago 18 degree pitch tiles were laid on the 12.5 degree pitch roof hence no end of misery and it still goes on and will do so until the correct roofing tiles are installed. Not all modern tradespeople are bad but so many of them are. These roofers spent so much time next door we got to know them very well; we supplied tea and biscuits one sugar each; as I say great guys but not whom we'd employ as roofers.

Even worse was one year after we had replaced our roofs; over the two roomed rear extension we had used "Nuralite" this being expensive but if professionally installed with a 25 year warranty. We arrived home one morning to a powerful smell of white spirit? I went up the garden and was horrified to see the black Nuralite now painted silver. A call to the police had two officers here who kindly searched the area finding a local roofing company who had painted the roof on the wrong bungalow; this company offered to replace the Nuralite and install it; I said thanks but just supply the Nuralite I'll do the job again. I could have cried when I saw the new roof had been painted.

Ask a Question