Anyone using Solar Power for woodworking?

Reaction score
Hi. I am a woodworker by hobby working out of a 12'x16' shed in the corner of my back yard. I've been running a 100' extension cord from the back porch to my shed. That is connected to a power strip that feeds power to various tools when needed.
I have been quoted a few prices to run electricity from the fuse box outside my home, all the way to my shed. Unfortunately the location of the fuse box and my shed are on complete different corners of my lot. Yeah, the farthest they could possibly be. No matter if the electricians go under ground or through the attic,..its all way too expensive!! Even if I did the trenches myself, its still too expensive. I also considered a generator and put behind my shed. Buuut, I don't want to disturb my neighbors, nor do I want to hear it either. I work in my shed anywhere from 5-8 hrs at a time and don't think I'll like the generator running that long lol.
I can't seem to find a helpful web site to aid me in determining if solar panels would even be able to power what I use.
I don't know anything about electricity or solar terminology. Im learning as I go.
So does anyone use solar power? On a consistent basis, I run a small box fan, two lights, and a small stereo. When I work, there's always a combination of my shop vac and table saw running at the same time. Or my shop vac and chop saw at the same time.
Thx for any feed back.

Ask a Question