Water heater electric

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a electric water heater annthe red reset button will not pop out but the water is not getting hot I have used a multi meter to test the power it was ok
Also the switch said it was ok
But when I lower the temperature control the red button stays in so I can’t test the heating element hope someone can help as I can’t afford a electrician du to COVID an not working since February 2020
Thanks guys

Reaction score
I can think of two possibilities- the button may be physically stuck. Take the tip of a knife and try to move the button around to see if it can be freed up. Second possibility is that the spring behind the button is broken. If that is the case, you will have to buy a new element.

Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can think of two possibilities- the button may be physically stuck. Take the tip of a knife and try to move the button around to see if it can be freed up. Second possibility is that the spring behind the button is broken. If that is the case, you will have to buy a new element.

Welcome to the forum.
Yeah tried the button with a knife not just stuck but I guess that the aping may be broken thanks

Reaction score
You might have to invest in a new or secondhand one.

They don't make 'em like they used to. I acquired a Santon in 1976. It was from a shop that was being renovated, it was pretty old then.
Still working fine in my garage, though it is a little rusty. Very reliable. (no re-set button).
They still make them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You might have to invest in a new or secondhand one.

They don't make 'em like they used to. I acquired a Santon in 1976. It was from a shop that was being renovated, it was pretty old then.
Still working fine in my garage, though it is a little rusty. Very reliable. (no re-set button).
They still make them.
Yeah same with everything nowadays all crap good idea I was thinking of getting a old wood burning water heater
Thanks for reminding me an the help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
But when I lower the temperature control the red button stays in so I can’t test the heating element
Do you mean you can't get it to work at all, even at a lower temperature? With the power off and one end of the element disconnected from any control gubbins it ought to be easy to measure its resistance.

How does the reset button work? If it's an over-temperature cutout then surely it pops out when an o-t condition occurs, and you have to push it in to reset and get the thing to heat again? So pushed in is where it should be if the heater is to work?

I find it hard to imagine a mechanism where out is the normal working position and somehow it gets drawn in when it activates and somehow you have to pull it out to reset.

Disclaimer - I've never seen one, so I could very well be testiculating, but it really does sound as though the cutout has not tripped and either the element or the thermostat is shot.

Ask a Question