Unable to remove shower valve handle

C

Charlie

The thermostatic valve for my shower is leaking so thought I'd remove to service/replace it. However I can seem to get the handle off, I've remove thelittle grub screw but it doesn't want to budge. I soaked it with some white vinegar for about an hour but still no luck (long enough?) Difficult to soak when it's attached to the wall!

The other on/off handle came off really easily.
Here's a photo:

http://i39.tinypic.com/30c6dug.jpg

Any suggestions?

Ad

Advertisements

C

charlieviking

The thermostatic valve for my shower is leaking so thought I'd remove to service/replace it. However I can seem to get the handle off, I've remove the little grub screw but it doesn't want to budge. I soaked it with some white vinegar for about an hour but still no luck (long enough?) Difficult to soak when it's attached to the wall!

Here's a photo:

Any suggestions?
Still no luck... Am I missing something, is there some trick with the safety button on the front that you need to do? Or should I use some more corrosive limescale remover poured all over the handle?

D

djc

The thermostatic valve for my shower is leaking so thought I'd remove to service/replace it. However I can seem to get the handle off, I've remove the little grub screw but it doesn't want to budge. I soaked it with some white vinegar for about an hour but still no luck (long enough?) Difficult to soak when it's attached to the wall!

Here's a photo:

Any suggestions?
I have something that looks similar. But no grub screw. It just pulls
off. There is a plastic (nylon?) clip and socket inside the handle, it
need a strong tug to get it off.

C

Charlie

I have something that looks similar. But no grub screw. It just pulls
off. There is a plastic (nylon?) clip and socket inside the handle, it
need a strong tug to get it off.
I'm not sure, I can't get it off to see. It seems to be corroded on.
I've tried limescale remover, WD-40, hair dryer, tapping with a hammer but I just can't get it to budge.

T

The Medway Handyman

I'm not sure, I can't get it off to see. It seems to be corroded on.
I've tried limescale remover, WD-40, hair dryer, tapping with a hammer but I just can't get it to budge.
Anything behind the white (plastic?) disc? Does that prize off like the
top of a tap?

C

Charlie

Anything behind the white (plastic?) disc? Does that prize off like the
top of a tap?
TMH,

Well I really have no idea if there is a white nylon disk! I can't the bleedin' handle off to find out :)

I did find some advice here:

http://www.homeimprovementsdepot.com/how-to-remove-a-stuck-shower-knob-or-faucet-handle

It said use "WD-40, Kroil, Liquid Wrench, soda, transmission fluid or even hydrogren peroxide."

I tried using WD-40 and lime scale remover. I also tried a hair dryer and some lightish tapping with a hammer. No luck though.

Ad

Advertisements

D

Dave Liquorice

Well I really have no idea if there is a white nylon disk! I can't the
bleedin' handle off to find out :)
Looking at the photo there appears to be a cap the same diameter as
the knob body with a small offset button protruding through it. This
cap looks white in the picture but I think that is just a reflection
in the chrome.

Does that cap come off? If so what's behind it?

C

Charlie

Ahhh, I had another look at the picture and I can see what you are getting at now. It's just the reflection in the photo, there's no cap. The handle is just one solid piece bar the button on the front and the handle on the side.

Charlie

M

me

Ahhh, I had another look at the picture and I can see what you are getting at now. It's just the reflection in the photo, there's no cap.
The handle is just one solid piece bar the button on the front and the
handle on the side.Charlie

does the handle unscrew?

stella

Ad

Advertisements

S

sureuniontony

在 2012å¹´3月31日星期六UTC+8上åˆ2æ—¶01分12秒,Charlie写é“:

Here's a photo:

Any suggestions?
Hello Charlie,I think you need a plumber with some special tools to handle remove it.
here are heating pipe and fitting supplier,any question or need welcome to consult us, email:[email protected] www.plasticpipe.com.cn

Ask a Question