stop and waste valve help needed

Discussion in 'Home Repair' started by Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2008.

  1. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    can someone tell me where to find, if possible, what I'm looking for?

    I have an exterior spigot on my house. It's just a regular spigot;
    inside the house there is a stop and waste valve to shut it off in the
    wintertime. I rebuilt the valve so I can shut it off, but it needs to
    be replaced as I can't turn it on (part of it is cracked, and when I
    cleaned all the lime and scale off of it when I rebuilt it it started
    leaking.) I can't find a new one with which to replace it!

    This valve is mounted horizontally on the wall with the flow from left
    to right (as you look at the stem.) All I can seem to find are valves
    that flow from right to left. Does anyone know of a source for
    "backwards" S&W valves, preferably ball type (I'm starting to become a
    ball valve convert for reasons of better flow and lack of rubber washers
    and packing to replace, which seems to be a regular event whenever I
    touch a new valve around here,) or is a "simple" valve replacement that
    I was hoping to avoid in the first place going to involve a lot of

    There's another wrinkle to this which is that I have the same exact
    setup in another, less accessable location in the house and that valve
    also needs a rebuild. If I mung that up, I'm going to have the same
    problem but with a far greater PITA factor.


    Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. You can do better than that. Probably won't even get a nibble let alone set
    the hook.
    Edwin Pawlowski, Feb 9, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  3. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    I'm really not trolling, I can only find a S&W valve with the outlet on
    the right. If I were to use the ones all of my local stores sell (yes,
    including the Real Plumbing Store) then the "waste" feature would be
    useless as the little drain nipple would be on the inlet side, whereas I
    need it on the outlet side to let the pipe to the spigot drain dry.

    I ASSume this is not a big deal when used on an overhead pipe as if it
    ends up oriented wrong you just flip the valve over, but in this app. it
    is important as I can only mount it exactly one way (stem facing away
    from the wall, flow from left to right, drain nipple on the outlet side
    facing down.) Otherwise I would have to run about 12' of new 1/2"
    copper from overhead to come in from the other side, remove the old tee,

    Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2008
  4. Nate Nagel

    Speedy Jim Guest

    Home Depot:

    Ball stop/waste
    Left to right
    Stem/handle facing away from wall

    They're really common, so you should be able to find them
    at other outlets too.
    Speedy Jim, Feb 9, 2008
  5. Nate Nagel

    hallerb Guest

    ball valves appear to never fail, i am slowly replacing all my valves
    with ball valves. the stems dont corrode in place, so in a emergency
    you dont find them impossible to move.........
    hallerb, Feb 9, 2008
  6. Nate Nagel

    lp13-30 Guest

    Can you just use a standard freezeproof faucet, which has the actual
    valve part inside the basement? I assume yours is in a basement.
    lp13-30, Feb 9, 2008
  7. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    What were your search terms? I just get "the product you are trying to
    view is not currently available." In fact, I can't find any valves at
    all on their shitty web site...

    I believe I've ranted on here before about how worthless HD is, so I'm
    certain they don't stock this. (in no small part because I've looked
    for just this product every time I've been in the plumbing aisle just to
    see if I've missed something.)

    Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2008
  8. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    I could, but the sillcock is actually hidden under a deck. I was going
    to extend it up above the deck which means maintaining the current setup
    would be preferable.

    Nate Nagel, Feb 9, 2008
  9. Nate Nagel

    Speedy Jim Guest

    Link works here; maybe it's related to location.

    Store SKU# 295723
    1/2 In. Full Port Solder Forged Brass Ball Valve With Drain

    Model 107-553HC

    Plug the SKU into your local store.
    Speedy Jim, Feb 10, 2008
  10. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    Nope, no workee.

    that was enough to determine that that is a Mueller/B-K valve though, so
    your research was helpful. Now I just have to find someone that stocks it.

    Do they make an opposite "handed" version by chance? just in case I
    ever need one of those? All the stores around here do stock Mueller/B-K
    but the only S&W valves they have are actual stop valves, and they flow
    in the opposite direction. Never actually seen a ball type S&W valve
    that I recall...

    Nate Nagel, Feb 10, 2008
  11. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    Ah, I figured it out - I hadn't selected a store.

    "not sold online."

    GRR. bastards.

    Nate Nagel, Feb 10, 2008
  12. Nate Nagel

    Oren Guest

    Oren, Feb 10, 2008
  13. Nate Nagel

    Nate Nagel Guest

    Nate Nagel, Feb 10, 2008
  14. Can't you just rotate it 90 or 180 degrees?
    Edwin Pawlowski, Feb 10, 2008
  15. Nate Nagel

    Oren Guest

    Speedy Jim - is your friend.

    Oren, Feb 10, 2008
  16. Nate Nagel

    Pete C. Guest

    Someone may have already suggested this, but I didn't read the whole

    Ditch the double valve setup and replace it with a "frost proof sill
    cock", which is readily available and inexpensive. Basically the handle
    and spout are outside and the actual valve seat is inside. They also
    incorporate the vacuum breaker function required in the newer codes.
    Pete C., Feb 11, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.