Stone dust collection bin

  • Thread starter Paul \( Skiing8 \)
  • Start date

P

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

I am going to be cutting through a wall with an angle grinder and I wish to
cut down the dust as much as possible.

I have an idea for a dust collection bin.

Here's how it works.....

I will get a drum of some kind (one that can be sealed) that is fairly
robust and will not cave in. In the top of the bin I will cut a hole that is
the same size of the vaccuum hose. At the other side at the top I will cut
another hole that I will insert a plastic waste pipe that extends down to
the bottom of the bin. The bin will then be filled a 1/4 of the way with
water.

Another hose will be run from the waste pipe to a collector near where the
cutting will be done. When the vaccuum is switched on it will suck air
through the system and filter the fine dust through the water.


Will it work and be worth the effort?


Paul
 
A

AlexW

Paul said:
I am going to be cutting through a wall with an angle grinder and I wish to
cut down the dust as much as possible.
I have actually done this BTW ... consider carefully you could avoid the
dust by using a stone cutter and small amounts of water. See
http://tinyurl.com/48l3b.

I have an idea for a dust collection bin.

Here's how it works.....

I will get a drum of some kind (one that can be sealed) that is fairly
robust and will not cave in. In the top of the bin I will cut a hole that is
the same size of the vaccuum hose. At the other side at the top I will cut
another hole that I will insert a plastic waste pipe that extends down to
the bottom of the bin. The bin will then be filled a 1/4 of the way with
water.

Another hose will be run from the waste pipe to a collector near where the
cutting will be done. When the vaccuum is switched on it will suck air
through the system and filter the fine dust through the water.
I think you will need a very good vac with mega suction to capture the
all the dust!

... if you go this way there are various dust collection systems that
can be bought off the shelf. The Triton one I have (use for timber / mdf
mainly) works well from a std vac. See bucket in
http://tinyurl.com/5qlvs. The bucket cost about £30 IIRC and can be
bought from B&Q warehouses. How effective it would be in this
application, I am not sure as the operation really will create a hell of
lot of dust.

HTH,

Alex.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

AlexW said:
I have actually done this BTW ... consider carefully you could avoid the
dust by using a stone cutter and small amounts of water. See
http://tinyurl.com/48l3b.



I think you will need a very good vac with mega suction to capture the
all the dust!

... if you go this way there are various dust collection systems that
can be bought off the shelf. The Triton one I have (use for timber / mdf
mainly) works well from a std vac. See bucket in
http://tinyurl.com/5qlvs. The bucket cost about £30 IIRC and can be
bought from B&Q warehouses. How effective it would be in this
application, I am not sure as the operation really will create a hell of
lot of dust.

HTH,

Alex.
Forgot to really mention that I already have a grinder and disk and don't
really want to spend any extra cash at all. The bucket looks like what I
have in mind... maybe I will use one a bit bigger though, all the fittings I
have or can get from my dad for free. The main important difference is the
'water filtration' part, as the dust and air are sucked through the water it
should catch most of the dust and save the vaccumm from being clogged.

Paul
 
P

Paul \( Skiing8 \)

Andy Dingley said:
Yes (depending on some details) and yes.

Build a cyclone - they're very easy

How to make really rubbish cyclones that work surprisingly well
http://codesmiths.com/shed/workshop/techniques/cyclones/

How to make real ones
http://billpentz.com//woodworking/cyclone/index.cfm

This looks good, I may just design mine just like it and if I get an elbow
and extension I could adapt it for the dusty work and convert it back when I
need to do wood work type jobs

Paul
 
A

AlexW

Paul said:
This looks good, I may just design mine just like it and if I get an elbow
and extension I could adapt it for the dusty work and convert it back when I
need to do wood work type jobs

Paul
Should do both as per the design.

I didn't suggest cyclones as it looked like a one off. I was thinking
about making one too, but when I saw the Triton thingy, I decided I
could not be arsed as I would spend probably half the price on hoses &
fittings etc which I did not have.

Good luck & have fun.
 
A

AlexW

Paul said:
that is



Forgot to really mention that I already have a grinder and disk and don't
really want to spend any extra cash at all. The bucket looks like what I
have in mind... maybe I will use one a bit bigger though, all the fittings I
have or can get from my dad for free. The main important difference is the
'water filtration' part, as the dust and air are sucked through the water it
should catch most of the dust and save the vaccumm from being clogged.

Paul
The triton has a lifetime cleanable filter I use mine with an earlex
combi vac sometimes with the filter removed (for max suck).

If you can get the bits for free, that's half the battle ... get with
the cyclonic vibe!

Alex.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John Stumbles

Paul said:
that is



Forgot to really mention that I already have a grinder and disk and don't
really want to spend any extra cash at all. The bucket looks like what I
have in mind... maybe I will use one a bit bigger though, all the fittings I
have or can get from my dad for free. The main important difference is the
'water filtration' part, as the dust and air are sucked through the water it
should catch most of the dust and save the vaccumm from being clogged.
I think the problem is that the vacuum (even when not having to try to
pull a stream of air through water) can't create a strong enough/high
enough volume airflow to capture the sheer mega blast of dust an angle
grinder kicks out. For my next attempt at chasing a wall with an angle
grinder I think I might rig up a _big_ fan (30 cm dia or so) I aquired
from some old computer air cooling kit and see if it'll at least keep
the dust cloud from permeating the rest of the house I'm working in
(even if it covers the street outside in dust :)
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top