What are the differences between "Blu Tack" (from Bostik) and "White
Tack" (from UHU) in terms of performance in areas like:

1. level of stickness
2. ease of removeability
3. amount of spread when squeezed
4. etc
The only folk who might be knowledgable are supervisors in University
Halls of Residence where 100's of students stick posters on their room
walls and sometimes bring pieces of paint off when they take them down.

john2

M

meow2222

Joe said:

1. level of stickness
2. ease of removeability
4. etc
What are these things (and plasticine, which was the only poster tack
for many a year) made of? I guess clay and oil are in there somewhere.

NT

W

Weatherlawyer

What are these things (and plasticine, which was the only poster tack
for many a year) made of? I guess clay and oil are in there somewhere.
The prison issue is mae of peppermint and chalk white.

Ad

Advertisements

H

Helen Deborah Vecht

The only folk who might be knowledgable are supervisors in University
Halls of Residence where 100's of students stick posters on their room
walls and sometimes bring pieces of paint off when they take them down.

They seem to have banned it in all the places I visit on weekend courses...

Reaction score

1. level of stickness
2. ease of removeability
4. etc
I know it's years later but I feel compelled to register just to comment in balance to at least the one unnecessarily rude response. I happened to be interested in this question too. I have just been given some white tac and have been wondering about the difference. Not world changing but blutack has been a market leader for so long I wondered what the difference is. Probably more a brand issue than colour.

Reaction score
Please note that many of these old posts are from a newsgroup archive and did not originate on this site. I think you will find us to be a likeable group and very helpful when we are able.
BTW - welcome to the site Elizabeth.

Reaction score
Don't use Blue Tack.

But if you want a chat about the merits of "sticky-backed velcro. strips" I'm your man!
Isn't the internet wonderful notwithstanding it brings the negative with the positive. But here I am in Wellington NZ ( originally from Melbourne) and have had contact with Nth Carolina and now Manchester. I think with these products it comes down to what they are needed for. Where possible I use Command strips.It was just that my son brought home a discarded pack of a slab of UBL white tack and it prompted my musing of difference between blue and white. The only thing I could think of was that blue would last longer as an attractive colour than white which would soon look dirty. Might also come down to brand quality. However I found a use for a tiny bit of the white stuff last night. Had tried to remove sticky stuff off the back of a greeting card with a rubber and also with Dissolve It. Only made small impact then had thought that blue tack is used to remove it's own residue so pulled off tiny bit of white tack, moulded it around then ran it back and forth over the sticky stuff on card and Bob's your uncle. Gone. Satisfaction.

I quite like sticky-backed velcro strips however there are places they can't be used but I know where to come if I need more info !

Reaction score
Isn't the internet wonderful notwithstanding it brings the negative with the positive. But here I am in Wellington NZ ( originally from Melbourne) and have had contact with Nth Carolina and now Manchester. I think with these products it comes down to what they are needed for. Where possible I use Command strips.It was just that my son brought home a discarded pack of a slab of UBL white tack and it prompted my musing of difference between blue and white. The only thing I could think of was that blue would last longer as an attractive colour than white which would soon look dirty. Might also come down to brand quality. However I found a use for a tiny bit of the white stuff last night. Had tried to remove sticky stuff off the back of a greeting card with a rubber and also with Dissolve It. Only made small impact then had thought that blue tack is used to remove it's own residue so pulled off tiny bit of white tack, moulded it around then ran it back and forth over the sticky stuff on card and Bob's your uncle. Gone. Satisfaction.

I quite like sticky-backed velcro strips however there are places they can't be used but I know where to come if I need more info !

I find velcro so much stronger than blue tack and you can use it anywhere.
There's some small bits on the back corners of this dust cover to stop it sliding off with the draught from the door when it's opened.

P1020099.JPG

it keeps the cables in their protective cover attached to the skirting.

P1020101.JPG

Even a small bit keeps the switch for my tall reading lamp attached to the window frame.

P1020102.JPG

If the use is no longer necessary it can all be removed. I fInd that blue tack over time, loses its adhesive qualites.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Yes I absolutely agree and always have some in the house and do use it. I wondered if it would pull off paint from some surfaces. I doubt I will be using this white tack that was given to me. I used to use blutack if I put posters or pictures on cupboard doors and such places but changed to Command strips years ago. I have got velcro on cables to keep them tidy but it would be the non adhesive type having said that I have used adhesive velcro dots on a number of occasions, am so used to it I can't remember where.

Ask a Question