Rewiring a Murray Riding Lawn Mower 12 HP 38 Inch Cut


G

Garry Conn

I would like to completely gut out and rewire all the electrical on my
murray riding lawn mower. Can someone talk to me and give me the lawn
mower wiring 101 course? How does all the wiring work? What keeps the
battery charged? Perhaps someone can give me a few reference websites
I can visit and learn about it. I have spent some time searching the
boards as well as websites and have not found much that teaches you
about the basic wiring of a riding lawnmower. Any help would be great!

Garry
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

MLD

Garry Conn said:
I would like to completely gut out and rewire all the electrical on my
murray riding lawn mower. Can someone talk to me and give me the lawn
mower wiring 101 course? How does all the wiring work? What keeps the
battery charged? Perhaps someone can give me a few reference websites
I can visit and learn about it. I have spent some time searching the
boards as well as websites and have not found much that teaches you
about the basic wiring of a riding lawnmower. Any help would be great!

Garry
Why?? Given the questions you're asking, like "How does all the wiring
work?", I think that you better think twice before it all goes up in smoke.
MLD
 
T

Terry

MLD said:
Why?? Given the questions you're asking, like "How does all the wiring
work?", I think that you better think twice before it all goes up in smoke.
MLD
Agree; somewhat easier, and harder in some ways, for someone competent and
familiar with rewiring/repairing auto electrics!
I guess we are not aware of your level of experience and training? But you
should know what you are doing; too easy to burn out, say an expensive
generator/alternator for example.
My son has just modified a 1986 vehicle from automatic to manual, has
changed the fuel injected motor to a supercharged model and by the way, the
car had and still has an electronic instrument display. Inevitably he ran
into various items that had to be analyzed and resolved because of the
differences, not only in the wiring harnesses but also the range of
conditions and outputs of the various sensors to the engine computer etc.!
BUT; he has some eight years experience, teaches electronics and is
competent self taught auto mechanic with a buddy who is a machine shop
instructor!
Even if you see the rewiring job as a straightforward 'one wire for one
wire' there is a chance of using the wrong gauge or even wrong temperature
of wire insulation?
I agree with other posters; if you have ask such a basic question, don't go
at it!
Why does it need rewiring anyway?
If you 'must' go at it suggest you first get the correct manual, although
they are sometimes not easy to read if you are not used to that product line
and compare it to the existing wiring (it may differ!!!). Even then it won't
tell you everything. I guess a comprehensive lawn mower manual might cost
$20 to $40? Not familiar with that company's policy concerning such material
though.
BTW.We've seen 200 watt car stereo systems that have been wired up with thin
gauge' bell wire' bought at the local supermarket by someone 'following the
instructions' and then the owner wondering why it doesn't work
My opinion.
 
G

Garry Conn

Joseph,

Only way to be able to learn anything in life is to try. If you fail,
you learn from your mistakes. Or better learn from the mistakes that
others have made themselves. Anyway I guess there is an obvious
difference in people. I am willing to take moderate chances in order
to learn. I have the Briggs & Stratton interactive repair manual and
it really doesn't explain at all how the engine is wired. It only
describes the parts which I am aware of what they are... finding parts
is no trouble at all either... I wasn't aware that there was a
shortage of electrical wire? LOL. Nothing personal. :)

Nothing personal, but I would have to suggest that anyone who has to
ask, and can not figure it out by disassembling the mower, should not
be
trying.

BTW the first step would be to get the repair manual for the mower.
Finding one may be just a little easier than finding some of the parts
you
are going to need.
 
G

Garry Conn

Why??? Why not??? Am I going to die? No.... worst that can happen is I
will be buying another used crappy mower for $75.00 which will last me
5 years like this one did. Asking for someone elses expertise doesn't
mean I am not capable of doing the work on the mower. If I did not
have any confidence in myself I would not be interested in learning
how the wiring works.... nor would I invest the time into trying to
find someone on usenet and attempt to pick at their brain for
information, and lastly I wouldn't try to attempt to re-wire the
mower.... however, I do have confidence in my self and I am investing
the time into finding someone in usenet that is an expert, and I will
re-wire my lawn mower and pimp my ride! LOL

Thanks.
Garry
 
M

maradcliff

I would like to completely gut out and rewire all the electrical on my
murray riding lawn mower. Can someone talk to me and give me the lawn
mower wiring 101 course? How does all the wiring work? What keeps the
battery charged? Perhaps someone can give me a few reference websites
I can visit and learn about it. I have spent some time searching the
boards as well as websites and have not found much that teaches you
about the basic wiring of a riding lawnmower. Any help would be great!

Garry
Send me payment in the form of cash, check, or money order in the
amount of $3000, and I will teach you all you need to know. This is
much cheaper than going to college.

Otherwise, replace one wire at a time, and ONLY one at a time, and you
cant go wrong.

As for the WHY you want to do it, I will never understand. I have a
Murray 38" 12HP rider and is probably identical or very similar. I
see no reason the wiring should be bad, and if I had a short I'd tape
that wire, or possibly replace that ONE wire. If you are going to
rebuild anything, I'd tackle the mechanical parts long before the
wiring. I have taken quite a bit of mine apart over the years to
lubricate and clean out all the gunk that builds up.

Finally, the battery charges because the flywheel has coils and
magnets that act as a generator (or alternator, whichever it is). If
you ever pop the cover off the engine, you can see these parts.

PS. Clean your battery terminals. They are the first thing to get
crappy.
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

Garry Conn

Well I want to re-wire it primarily to get all the saftey features
back. Also all the existing wire is bare or frayed. Additionally I
would like to re-wire it to gain a better understanding of small
engines as well as electronics. Why not.... anyway I have made a lot
of progress with it today. I am almost done. I have completely
re-wired the lawn mower, replaced the existing burnt out light bulbs
and.... AND installed two halegon automobile lights. This mower has
the brightest lights I have ever seen! LOL. Additionaly I have
installed and wired an ampre meter as well as a switch that controls
how the lights are powered... I can run the lights directly off
battery or if the mower engine is running at 3600 RPM I can flip the
switch so that the lights receive power directly from the alternator.
I have the PTO switch on order... that is the only thing keeping this
project from being complete.

On top of that, I have plans to add a 700 Watt power inverter to it
and I will have my self a portable generator on wheels. I am not sure
if the charging system on the Briggs & Stratton engine can keep up
with the useage of the battery, actually think it is doubtful.... so I
am intending on making a modification to the drive belt and assembly
by adding a car alternator to it which would easily spin fast enough
to generate enough power to supply to the power inverter. I will keep
you posted.

You guys all have to understand that I don't care if the outcome of
any of my projects end in failure.... because in my eyes they never
do... something good will always come from anything I do. I might not
achieve the original goal intended, but I end with having more ideas
based off the original.
 
M

MLD

Garry Conn said:
Well I want to re-wire it primarily to get all the saftey features
back. Also all the existing wire is bare or frayed. Additionally I
would like to re-wire it to gain a better understanding of small
engines as well as electronics. Why not.... anyway I have made a lot
of progress with it today. I am almost done. I have completely
re-wired the lawn mower, replaced the existing burnt out light bulbs
and.... AND installed two halegon automobile lights. This mower has
the brightest lights I have ever seen! LOL. Additionaly I have
installed and wired an ampre meter as well as a switch that controls
how the lights are powered... I can run the lights directly off
battery or if the mower engine is running at 3600 RPM I can flip the
switch so that the lights receive power directly from the alternator.
I have the PTO switch on order... that is the only thing keeping this
project from being complete.

On top of that, I have plans to add a 700 Watt power inverter to it
and I will have my self a portable generator on wheels. I am not sure
if the charging system on the Briggs & Stratton engine can keep up
with the useage of the battery, actually think it is doubtful.... so I
am intending on making a modification to the drive belt and assembly
by adding a car alternator to it which would easily spin fast enough
to generate enough power to supply to the power inverter. I will keep
you posted.

You guys all have to understand that I don't care if the outcome of
any of my projects end in failure.... because in my eyes they never
do... something good will always come from anything I do. I might not
achieve the original goal intended, but I end with having more ideas
based off the original.
Doing the work to learn and play around is just fine, especially if you
don't care how it all comes out. But it sounds like you're trying to turn a
Ford Pinto into a Honda Accord. Having said that, with respect to your
"how do the wires work?" question, just replacing parts and wires will
teach you nothing and will leave you just as clueless as you profess to be.
Do you want to learn--have you looked at a wiring scehmatic? Have you traced
the actual wires and compared them to the schematic? No schematic--have you
tried to create one by following and tracing the wires? How can you tap into
the existing wires and add hardware (lights, switches, ammeter etc.) without
knowing which wires are which or how to connect them--in parallel or in
series? You're either putting us on or so clueless that you're brillant.
MLD
 
C

Chet Hayes

Why??? Why not??? Am I going to die? No.... worst that can happen is I
will be buying another used crappy mower for $75.00 which will last me
5 years like this one did. Asking for someone elses expertise doesn't
mean I am not capable of doing the work on the mower. If I did not
have any confidence in myself I would not be interested in learning
how the wiring works.... nor would I invest the time into trying to
find someone on usenet and attempt to pick at their brain for
information, and lastly I wouldn't try to attempt to re-wire the
mower.... however, I do have confidence in my self and I am investing
the time into finding someone in usenet that is an expert, and I will
re-wire my lawn mower and pimp my ride! LOL

Thanks.
Garry


Ok, I just have to ask. Is there something specifically wrong with
the wiring now? And unless it's all been ripped out, you could just
replace what's there with new wire a section at at time, without
having to figure out exactly how it works.
 
C

Chris Lewis

According to Garry Conn said:
I would like to completely gut out and rewire all the electrical on my
murray riding lawn mower. Can someone talk to me and give me the lawn
mower wiring 101 course? How does all the wiring work? What keeps the
battery charged? Perhaps someone can give me a few reference websites
I can visit and learn about it. I have spent some time searching the
boards as well as websites and have not found much that teaches you
about the basic wiring of a riding lawnmower. Any help would be great!
To answer your question in a different way than the others do,
most equipment like this has wiring harnesses. Batches of wire
slung through some sort of wrapping, with bits of wire poking out
at various places.

The electrical diagrams are _usually_ just showing what connects
to what, not how it gets there, nor how to identify which wire
is which, nor what wire size you should have.

You _could_ replace one wire at a time, using the electrical diagram
to identify what terminal on what device is connected to another
terminal on another device and double-checking with an ohmmeter.
But that's slow and exceedingly painful. And you could easily go
wrong with the wrong wire size.

It'd be MUCH simpler to buy a replacement harness. Which would be silly
to do if the existing harness isn't busted.

[It's actually quite easy to _make_ harnesses, but to do that, you
need the original manufacturing instructions to know "what" goes
"where" and "how", lots of various pieces of wire, a chunk of
plywood, nails, and appropriate cable sheathing material. Plus
crimping tools etc.]

If you're trying to modify the electronics, then just add new
wire and leave the existing harness alone.

But if you have to ask "how does all the wiring work?" or "what charges
the battery", I think you need to take a course. There's no way
_we_ could give you enough information to be practically useful.

The alternator or generator charges the battery. Somehow that doesn't
sound like enough for your purposes ;-)

The wiring harness of my elderly Cub Cadet is having severe problems
where it goes near the engine (regulator, headlights, starting solenoids
etc). It was getting worn and melted thru, bare wire...

Replacing the wiring (even as a harness replacement) would have been
a major expense and/or PITA. So I settled for carefully repairing
the exposed/damaged conductors (praying I didn't lose track of what
connected to what) with solder and electrical tape.
 
Ad

Advertisements

Joined
May 20, 2018
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It's been 14 years, so, hopefully all the sarcasm and opinionated people have been humbled by now!
It's a question i had that led me to this forum... Some people like it need to know what the no no wires are connected to! Geeesh..it's one of those things where, if you don't know if don't want to share the knowledge, stay in your own lane, mind your business without vomiting verbal insults!
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top