Refrigerator noise


M

mjnash

I noticed last week there was water seeping from under my refrigerator. The
overflow water pan had...well...overflowed. It was full. I emptied the
water, pulled the fridge out and vacuumed the coils and the fan . While I
was doing this, the fan came on. Now several times a day, the fan kicks on
makes a loud groaning noise! Any ideas...is it time for a new fridge. This
one is about 15 years old


Thanks
Michael
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

jeff

mjnash said:
I noticed last week there was water seeping from under my refrigerator. The
overflow water pan had...well...overflowed. It was full. I emptied the
water, pulled the fridge out and vacuumed the coils and the fan . While I
was doing this, the fan came on. Now several times a day, the fan kicks on
makes a loud groaning noise! Any ideas...is it time for a new fridge. This
one is about 15 years old


Thanks
Michael
Hi,

Now several times a day, the fan kicks on
makes a loud groaning noise!
The condensor fan motor beside the compressor? If this fails the
compressor can overheat and the fan also helps to blow the warm air to
evaporate the defrost water. Might just be a bad fan motor and it
needs replacing.
http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R=153&N=2790
A common general replacement condensor fan motor.

No make/model# posted for referance either....
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

jeff.

Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/
 
G

George E. Cawthon

Don't look for the worst case, you might get it.
Refrigerator fans die just like other motors, especially
ones that get full of lint and other mung. Replace it for a
few bucks and see if you have another water overflow.
Refrigerators often last a lot longer than 15 years. My
current Whirlpool refrigerator was purchased in 1976 (makes
it 27 years old). It's had two parts replaced, the first
for $65 including the part and the repairman time. The
second cost $15. It continues to look good and operate
efficiently.
 
M

mjnash

Ok...today I had a little more time to check out the "noise". It is not the
fan but the compresor itself. It will groan several times a day. There is
also what appears to be a burn spot on the linoleum. Actually it is a very
dark brown areal the size of paperback book. Is a compressor an easy fix?

thanks again....Michael
 
S

Stormin Mormon

The full pan of water was probably because the fan was not blowing enough
air to re-evaporate the water.

Replacement condensor fan isn't terribly expensive, even if you call a
repair guy to put it in. I'd avoid Sears, they are painfull expensive. Try
to find someone local.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.org
..
..

I noticed last week there was water seeping from under my refrigerator. The
overflow water pan had...well...overflowed. It was full. I emptied the
water, pulled the fridge out and vacuumed the coils and the fan . While I
was doing this, the fan came on. Now several times a day, the fan kicks on
makes a loud groaning noise! Any ideas...is it time for a new fridge. This
one is about 15 years old


Thanks
Michael
 
S

Stormin Mormon

Compressor is not an easy fix. Assuming the compressor is making bad noises,
you'd do better to get a new refrig.

Burn spots mean that the comp is getting hot. Electric heat (such as heating
up a comp) is a very expensive way to heat your house.

Running a comp without adequate cooling (like with a bad condensor fan) will
cause all kinds of problems including noises and overheating. It is very
possible that your refrig might have lived a couple more years if the fan
had been changed sooner. But, you can't change the past. Unless you are a
politician.

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
www.mormons.org
..
..

Ok...today I had a little more time to check out the "noise". It is not the
fan but the compresor itself. It will groan several times a day. There is
also what appears to be a burn spot on the linoleum. Actually it is a very
dark brown areal the size of paperback book. Is a compressor an easy fix?

thanks again....Michael
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

George E. Cawthon

Dan O. said:
mjnash wrote in message ...

If the noise if from inside the compressor itself, the compressor would
usually have to be replaced to correct the problem. Replacing a compressor
requires special tools (vacuum pump, charging manifold, refrigerant) and in
many areas a license to purchase the refrigerant and to recover the existing
refrigerant. That job can also cost upwards of $350.

If by chance the noise you're hearing is just because of poor starting of
the compressor, it might be able to be corrected (or helped to last a while
longer) by installing a 'hard start kit'. I would recommend getting a
trained technician's opinion as to whether your situation would be helped by
that or not.

JMO

Dan O.
-
Appliance411.com
http://ng.Appliance411.com/?ref411=fridge+noise

=Ð~~~~~~
I agree completely except for the last part. A hard start
kit is nothing more than an a big condenser and costs about
$15. If he isn't sure whether the compressor motor is just
starting hard or the compressor or motor is really failing,
just go buy a hard start kit, install it in 15 minutes and
see what happens. If it still groans, he just wasted $15
(instead of a $50 to a technician) and if the groan stops,
it cost him only $15.
 
R

RS

George E. Cawthon said:
I agree completely except for the last part. A hard start
kit is nothing more than an a big condenser and costs about
$15. If he isn't sure whether the compressor motor is just
starting hard or the compressor or motor is really failing,
just go buy a hard start kit, install it in 15 minutes and
see what happens. If it still groans, he just wasted $15
(instead of a $50 to a technician) and if the groan stops,
it cost him only $15.
It's a CAPACITOR with a PTC start relay. Us refrig techs use them as a
last-resort-on-the-way-to-the-morgue.
At best, it may buy you enough time to compare prices of new refrigerators.
At worst, you'll waste $15 and solve nothing.

Best bet? Start pricing new refrigerators......
 
M

mjnash

Thank you all very much for your helpful responses! I think a new fridge is
in my very near future.

Michael
 
Ad

Advertisements

G

George E. Cawthon

RS said:
It's a CAPACITOR with a PTC start relay. Us refrig techs use them as a
last-resort-on-the-way-to-the-morgue.
At best, it may buy you enough time to compare prices of new refrigerators.
At worst, you'll waste $15 and solve nothing.

Best bet? Start pricing new refrigerators......
"Capacitor" and "condenser" mean the same thing in
electronics. As I remember, the one I installed was just a
condenser; there was no relay. Oh, and that was over 10
years ago. May not do anything for many refrigerators. I
believe my refrigerator was just engineered poorly as was
weak in the start department as it started having problems
after about 2 years. The start relay was eventually
replaced with a more modern one, but that also gave out
after a while and the "condenser/capacitor" fixed it.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top