Power breaker panel off, neutral 13 volts to earth.


A

andy everett

With the main breaker off read 13 volts from neutral bar to damp
concrete floor with a non digital voltmeter. Outside house is a
transformer in a metal box, power runs underground from street, about
300 feet, metal transformer box reads about 13 volts AC from metal case
to damp ground.

With no current running the neutral should be at zero volts AC?

With bare feet get shock from outside metal faucet. With bare feet get
shock from freezer in basement (damp floor).

Does this sound like the power companies problem?

Thanks for any ideas.
 
Ad

Advertisements

P

PhotoMan

andy everett said:
With the main breaker off read 13 volts from neutral bar to damp
concrete floor with a non digital voltmeter. Outside house is a
transformer in a metal box, power runs underground from street, about
300 feet, metal transformer box reads about 13 volts AC from metal case
to damp ground.

With no current running the neutral should be at zero volts AC?

With bare feet get shock from outside metal faucet. With bare feet get
shock from freezer in basement (damp floor).

Does this sound like the power companies problem?

Thanks for any ideas.
I'll leave the electrical comments to those better qualified, but there's NO
WAY I'd ever touch an electrical device in my bare feet on a concrete floor
(damp OR dry)!!!
Joe Arnold
 
J

JM

quoting:
With the main breaker off read 13 volts from neutral bar to damp
concrete floor with a non digital voltmeter. Outside house is a
transformer in a metal box, power runs underground from street, about
300 feet, metal transformer box reads about 13 volts AC from metal case
to damp ground.

With no current running the neutral should be at zero volts AC?

With bare feet get shock from outside metal faucet. With bare feet get
shock from freezer in basement (damp floor).

Does this sound like the power companies problem?

Sounds like you have a bad ground. Normally what should happen is your house
ground should kill any voltage on the neutral coming in from the street.
House grounds are usually connected to water pipes. If the water pipe is not
getting a proper ground, then it explains why you're getting shocks from your
outside faucet. Given a bad ground, instead of the desired effect (ground),
everything that is supposed to be "grounded" is being energized.
 
S

Speedy Jim

andy said:
With the main breaker off read 13 volts from neutral bar to damp
concrete floor with a non digital voltmeter.
Call the Utility Co. This is their problem and they may be
glad you called.

Jim
 
Ad

Advertisements

A

andy everett

Frank said:
Yes, but whatever you do (calling the power company or a licensed
electrician) do it NOW. This can be an extremely hazardous, even deadly
situation.
Done, thanks for all input! Will post what the experts find out.
 

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top