Plumbing advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have just hit a snag in the installation of my new kitchen and am seeking some advice with the plumming of a new sink. The problem im having is the new sink is undermount and has lowered the p trap to a point below the outlet in the wall, I dont think that lifting the sink is a practical option as I will have to lift the countertop approx 100mm, my other option would be to drill a hole in the outter wall and reconnect the drain pipe at a lower level, does anyone know if there is any issues with this and is this a DIY project or should i get a plumber to advise?

Many thanks,

James

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have just hit a snag in the installation of my new kitchen and am seeking some advice with the plumming of a new sink. The problem im having is the new sink is undermount and has lowered the p trap to a point below the outlet in the wall, I dont think that lifting the sink is a practical option as I will have to lift the countertop approx 100mm, my other option would be to drill a hole in the outter wall and reconnect the drain pipe at a lower level, does anyone know if there is any issues with this and is this a DIY project or should i get a plumber to advise?

Many thanks,

James

Hi and welcome.

Depends on your DIY skills and what tools are to hand.

I wouldn't think twice about drilling a hole in brickwork if necessary.

I could do it with my twenty year-old B & D hammer drill, with a masonry bit long enough to go through both walls.
I'd drill a hole rxactly in the middle of where I wanted the hole to be, going through both walls, making sure it was straight and horizontal, then stitch drill it from both sides, using a more manageable length masonry drill bit.

Here's a video. I've used the same method for the outlet for a tumble dryer vent.

Ask a Question