Range Keeps Tripping

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings everyone, thank you for allowing me to join.
I have a dilemma (hopefully easy for you) that I’m seeking help for. My wife and I have a 1980 split-level with a peninsula. Our old range kept shutting off (completely dead, so we would flip the breaker and it would come back on) when we would, in particular, preheat the oven. It started out infrequently, and then it got, over the last few weeks, to be a predictable problem that happened moments into preheating the oven or turning on the burners (usually when we had more than one on). A repair guy came out and said our old range was a POS and he wasn’t going to bother trying to fix it.

We just bought and installed a new range, and (to our horror) the same thing happened... it completely shut off like it had been unplugged when we preheated it tonight, assuming it would work just fine.

I just happened to be in the garage tonight when I heard the audible “click” of a tripped breaker, but, as the two 60 amp breakers are connected, the breakers weren’t actually moving to show that they had been tripped (so it seems like only one has been tripping).Flipping the breaker turns out new range right back on.

My question: could this be a breaker issue or something else? Could one be the problem? Please help me isolate what the issue could be. I am attaching two pictures of our panel. If you have any strong hunches, please share.
Thank you for your time, and sorry for making this post so long.
Tim from WA

Attachments

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The first place I'd look would be for a wiring fault. You need an electrician (not an appliance repairman) to run tests on it. Sooner rather than later in case there's a fault which is getting worse and might start a fire. While the electrician is there talk to him about having the board replaced or upgraded to one with GFCI protection.

Reaction score
Greetings everyone, thank you for allowing me to join.
I have a dilemma (hopefully easy for you) that I’m seeking help for. My wife and I have a 1980 split-level with a peninsula. Our old range kept shutting off (completely dead, so we would flip the breaker and it would come back on) when we would, in particular, preheat the oven. It started out infrequently, and then it got, over the last few weeks, to be a predictable problem that happened moments into preheating the oven or turning on the burners (usually when we had more than one on). A repair guy came out and said our old range was a POS and he wasn’t going to bother trying to fix it.

We just bought and installed a new range, and (to our horror) the same thing happened... it completely shut off like it had been unplugged when we preheated it tonight, assuming it would work just fine.

I just happened to be in the garage tonight when I heard the audible “click” of a tripped breaker, but, as the two 60 amp breakers are connected, the breakers weren’t actually moving to show that they had been tripped (so it seems like only one has been tripping).Flipping the breaker turns out new range right back on.

My question: could this be a breaker issue or something else? Could one be the problem? Please help me isolate what the issue could be. I am attaching two pictures of our panel. If you have any strong hunches, please share.
Thank you for your time, and sorry for making this post so long.
Tim from WA
I would replace both breakers. They do get weak over time. Make sure you get the same breaker, they are not all interchangeable. Take one of the old ones with you.

Ask a Question