G

Gordon Henderson

Has anyone on the group made an outdoor pizza oven. I quite fancy
building one of these myself, but all the pre-cast ones I can find
seem expensive (min £400).
http://shop.vitcas.com/outdoor-pizza-oven-68-p.asp
http://www.foroutdoors.co.uk/acatalog/Small_Roman_Pizza_Oven.html

I have reasonable brick laying skils, so I figured if I could get hold
of firebricks easily enough it would be relatively easy to make.
I posteed here a few months back about just this - Not done it yet as
there is some scaffolding in the way that I was hoping to have removed
before now, however, my plans revolve round making it entirly out of
clay+sand rather than brick - perhaps with a brick archway. I may be
able to get the clay/sand for free, but there is a commercial plance near
Exeter who can get me a "Grogged Terracotta" mix they reckon is suitable.

There are plans & wikis out there of people who've done this - the general
one seems to be making it in 3 layers - inner layer built over a wicker
"basket" or sand dune covered with damp newspaper, middle layer which
has a high %age of woodshavings or vermiculte mixed in for insulation,
then a finishing layer...

If you're up to it, then you make the clay/sand stuff by hand - or by
foot in wellies on a tarp, but I'm lazy and will buy it ready mixed...

And if it collapses after a few years, I'll build another... Or maybe
something else trendy will have come along by then ;-)

Gordon

T

Tim S

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:
I may be
able to get the clay/sand for free
Bring a spade and trailer to my place - you can have all the clay you
like :)

G

Gordon Henderson

Gordon Henderson coughed up some electrons that declared:

Bring a spade and trailer to my place - you can have all the clay you
like :)
Thank you! But you know what... I've tried "puddling" as I undestand
it's called - jumping in clay in wellies to mix in sand and much as I
feel I want the "back to caveman" experience, I feel spending about 50
quid to have 150Kg delivered is worth it...

(I'm told that there's a local quarry throws tonness of some natural 80%
silica content clay at the brick industry which I can get for asking
for it though)

Gordon

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I have been researching wood fired pizza oven building for a while now. I've decided to to build my pizza oven from scratch with my own plans and using the gym ball method for the dome. Google it, there are a few good videos out there.

I have seen several videos where some builders use a mixture of vermiculite and cement only for the dome and others who use only concrete. I want to use a combination of the two,. I will make a concrete layer of about 2 inches, then chicken wire, then another 2 inches of concrete. I will then apply a 3 inch layer of vermiculite mixed with cement. Even though the floor of the oven will provide the majority of heat retention I want the dome to do so also. The outer layer of vermiculite mixture will insulate the dome and help in preventing radiating heat outward.

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum and I have been researching wood fired pizza oven building for a while now. I've decided to to build my pizza oven from scratch with my own plans and using the gym ball method for the dome. Google it, there are a few good videos out there.

I have seen several videos where some builders use a mixture of vermiculite and cement only for the dome and others who use only concrete. I want to use a combination of the two,. I will make a concrete layer of about 2 inches, then chicken wire, then another 2 inches of concrete. I will then apply a 3 inch layer of vermiculite mixed with cement. Even though the floor of the oven will provide the majority of heat retention I want the dome to do so also. The outer layer of vermiculite mixture will insulate the dome and help in preventing radiating heat outward.
Welcome to the forum. If this is your first time trying this method I would try it on a smaller scale to see how the two different materials react to the extreme heat. They may expand at a different rates during heating or separate altogether. My brother poured a cement fire ring around his fire pit. It was great for a couple of years but on night it got too hot and the concrete exploded. Please exercise caution and keep us posted on your progress.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I am thinking that perhaps I should stick with the vermiculite although I remember reading from someone that that material absorbs moisture so if I do not let it cure fr a while it can explode also. Who would have though there were so many possible explosions in pizza oven building! There is another material called Perlite, used for the same purpose in irrigating soil but it does not absorb moisture so I will mix my cement with that. Thanks for your advice.

Ask a Question