Newbie saying hello from Huddersfield.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new to this DIY forum but am a member of a number of other forums including Ian's excellent gardening forum where I drive members nuts with my ramblings being a regular poster.

I'm 70 years young and have many and varied hobbies ranging from DIY to restoring vintage radios. My background is mining engineering; I was apprenticed to The National Coal Board upon leaving school at the age of 15 as an apprentice mechanical engineer. I've held many jobs over the years my last job in charge of three departments at a local electric motor manufacturer where I grafted for 24 years before taking voluntary redundancy and works pension at the age of 53.

I've already corrupted the gardening forum with my stories many of which have absolutely nothing to do with gardening but have been received with interest and encouragement. I hope to learn from members here and to share information.

https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/lathes.14403/

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62371

I'm not an expert on anything and I make lots of silly mistakes which I'm not scared of sharing; after 55 years of learning I still know very little which pleases me otherwise I'd be bored. :D

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Great to see you over here Colin :D

I look forward to reading more about your projects on here, and contributing some of my own :). I've got a busy week coming up, but once it calms down, I'm going to give this forum a little bit of a re-arrange so that we've got a projects/workshop section - as I think it'll be a popular addition, given our interests.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Ian but oh dear will it mean I'll be spending even more time as a keyboard warrior than time in the workshop. :D

I'll look forward to watching your current project should you decide to post it which I've enjoyed a preview of. :)

A projects/workshop section is a brilliant idea; I for one look forward to it and for a change I can post "on topic".

Enjoy your busy week Ian; its better than being bored.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'll definitely be posting pics and projects from next week :). I think this new section will work out well once added :D.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'll look forward to seeing your pics and projects Ian; looks like you've already started on electrics with your avatar. :D

My avatar is from my motorcycling days the picture being taken in 1972; the bike is a BMW R75/5 750CC in Polaris silver with five gallon tank; I bought this second hand but having kept it a year went into really scary debt and bought a brand new identical model but fitted this second bike with full fairing and crash bars genuine BMW items. At that time I could have bought a terrace house for what the new bike was costing but with payments spread only over three years I was single and working flat out 7 days a week including not taking holidays; absolutely wonderful bikes though and they went everywhere at the tight end of the throttle cable; unlike British boneshakers of the time these were dead smooth and quiet even on full bore; I did Wakefield to London and back a number of times in a morning with the needle off the clock. I've calmed down since Bron and I married behaving myself these days religiously adhering to speed limits enjoying being out of the dire climate in our new Yeti. Sadly five mates killed and coffin bearer for one in my biking days. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question