Miele vacuum cleaner hose repair?

• Thread starter Amanda Ripanykhazova
  • Start date

A

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Anyone know if it is possible to take the hose out of a Miele vacuum cleaner please? Mine has developed a hole in the flexible plastic at the very end.. If it can be taken out, I could just shave a few rings off and re-position it. The new hose costs nearly as much as the whole unit used.

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection piece(s) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt seemto be a generic part available)

Ad

Advertisements

G

gregz

Amanda Ripanykhazova said:
Anyone know if it is possible to take the hose out of a Miele vacuum
cleaner please? Mine has developed a hole in the flexible plastic at the
very end. If it can be taken out, I could just shave a few rings off and
re-position it. The new hose costs nearly as much as the whole unit used.

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection
piece(s) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There
doesnt seem to be a generic part available)
The answer is always wd-40 or duct tape.

Greg

H

hr(bob) hofmann

Anyone know if it is possible to take the hose out of a Miele vacuum cleaner please? Mine has developed a hole in the flexible plastic at the very end.  If it can be taken out, I could just shave a few rings off and re-position it.  The new hose costs nearly as much as the whole unit used.

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection piece(s) for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt seem to be a generic part available)
Since it is under a vacuum, duct tape placed on the outside of the
hose should adhere quite well. It is reasonably flexible, but you
might have to replace it every year or so as it will gradually lose it
stickiness over time. Duct tape comes in a couple of colors so you
might be able to make a good-looking repair.

H

Harry Johnson

The flexible part at either end seems to come out of the connection piece(s)
for some reason but I cant find just the flexible part.(There doesnt seem to
be a generic part available)

Have you checked Miele's website for a parts/service manual?

A

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Yes, I figured that duct tape was going to be the ad hoc way of doing it but was worried that after a while this method on anything flexible will start leaving a sticky fraying mess.

I was baffled by why the flexible bit does separate from the two end-pieces.. Turns out that although the assembly is available all over the place fora high price, the hose itself has a part number (5230830) and is "only" $50.

I think I will try the duct tape method firstly and then see if it becomes available for any less than that before the tape starts attracting more dirt than the unit picks up! The problem is that holes have started to appearin it BECAUSE the plastic has probably hardened a bit and I would imagine more holes will start to appear in short order.

P

Peter

Yes, I figured that duct tape was going to be the ad hoc way of doing it but was worried that after a while this method on anything flexible will start leaving a sticky fraying mess.

I was baffled by why the flexible bit does separate from the two end-pieces. Turns out that although the assembly is available all over the place for a high price, the hose itself has a part number (5230830) and is "only" $50.

I think I will try the duct tape method firstly and then see if it becomes available for any less than that before the tape starts attracting more dirt than the unit picks up! The problem is that holes have started to appear in it BECAUSE the plastic has probably hardened a bit and I would imagine more holes will start to appear in short order.
Planned obsolescence. I'm old enough to remember the hoses on my
mother's and grandmother's vacuums. They were closely woven cloth that
did not seem to let either air or dust through the walls of the hose. I
think some of them were more than 25 years old when the vacuums finally
"died" and were discarded; but the hoses were entirely intact.

Ad

Advertisements

A

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Yeah, well I carefully applied lots of duct tape over the undulations on the hose. It lasted precisely one day of use before the bending of the hose BY the plastic end-piece opened the hole up again!

A

Amanda Ripanykhazova

Yes, it is the bending of the hose by the plastic end piece which has caused the hole so there really isnt anywhere the tape can 'catch' and hold longenough. I am a bit surprised that a company as good as Miele would have produced something as badly strengthened as this?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
I have figured out the perfect way to repair my broken hose to my Miele vacuum. For the past couple years it's been very loosely patching the two broken sections of the hose. I ended up cutting the section out, thoroughly wiping down the two mating services with 91% Isopropyl Alcohol and adhere them with Shoe Goo (https://www.amazon.com/Shoe-GOO-110212-Adhesive-Black/dp/B004PBOJE8)

I let it cure for about 48 Hours. SOOOO much cheaper then buying a new hose. Even if I have to buy one eventually, this should last quite a while in the mean time. I've stretched this pretty hard and it's stays together without any issue. Hope this helps someone out!

Ask a Question