HVAC training.

R

ravenpi

Hey, all. My brother is looking to get into HVAC in western NH (Keene). He already has a class-A CDL with hazmat, and does propane deliveries, but is getting tired of being laid off when it gets warm. He has great work ethic, and really just wants to be a full time, permanent contributor. There really aren't any schools within driving distance that offer HVAC training.So we have a few questions:

1) Would on-line training be something realistic to pursue?

2) It seems as if it costs about $50K to get even on-line training; is thatin the ballpark?

3) Is there value in him starting courses while working, and getting more experience while he works in the field?

4) Apparently, in NH at least, one year's education is pretty much the minimum before you can start doing apprenticeships. Does that sound about right?

Any advice you guys could offer would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks,

-Ken

Ad

Advertisements

B

Bill

Hey, all. My brother is looking to get into HVAC in western NH (Keene). He already has a class-A CDL with hazmat, and does propane deliveries, but is getting tired of being laid off when it gets warm. He has great work ethic, and really just wants to be a full time, permanent contributor. There really aren't any schools within driving distance that offer HVAC training. So we have a few questions:

1) Would on-line training be something realistic to pursue?

2) It seems as if it costs about $50K to get even on-line training; is that in the ballpark?
I have seen classes offered at community colleges at a small
fraction of that price. Maybe he should investigate them? You can buy a
lot of gas for $50,000 (or move closer).

R

ravenpi

I have seen classes offered at community colleges at a small

fraction of that price. Maybe he should investigate them? You can buy a

lot of gas for $50,000 (or move closer).
Well, yeah --the individual courses are usually a couple grand each. But (for example) the local community college, as well as the on-line place, offer two years of courses; multiply it out, and it's in the several-tens-of-thousands by the time all is said and done.

So I guess the question is, can he take just a few courses, and know enoughto be of value? Either start angling for a certification or an apprenticeship? We're just trying to figure out the best/quickest/least expensive way to get him to the point where he knows enough to have it be attractive topotential employers.

Thanks for your reply!

-Ken

B

Bill

Well, yeah --the individual courses are usually a couple grand each.

But (for example) the local community college, as well as the on-line place, offer two years of courses; multiply it out, and it's in the several-tens-of-thousands by the time all is said and done.
At Henry Ford Community College (Dearborn, MI), tuition is $82/hr
locally versus $147/hr out of state.
63 hours in their HVAC program (apparently). $147*63 = $9261.
I'm not saying that there wouldn't be additional fees and expenses, but
that's not exactly several-tens-of-thousands.

What is expensive is being idle. With the down-sizing of Ford Motor Co.
there, property in Dearborn is in a buyer's market.

Good luck!

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question