HVAC Problems, help appreciated

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, Thank you for taking a miute to read my post about my recent HVAC problem.

Starting yesterday, my HVAC hasn't been cooling the house. It used to do an okay job at it, but now it doesn't cool it at all. My symptoms are: cool-ish air, but not much air blowing at any of the vents. From what my wife told me, it was working fine at 5:30pm when she left. When she returned to the house at 7:30pm, the house was 78 degrees. The thermostat is usually set for 69 degrees.

I started by cleaning the coils and replacing the air filter. It didn't help. I disconntected the AC for about 30 minutes incase the compressor was overheating. After, I reapplied AC and checked for voltage after the contactor, and from what I can tell it's working (although I'm not 100% sure on troubleshooting it). When I turned the thermostat back on I noticed the outside fan kicks on just fine, but the compressor will "hum" for only a second and then stop. I think it might be low on coolant, and I'm going to go out and get a gauge to confirm.

Does anyone else have any suggestions on what to check or is there a step I missed? Thanks again.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
It ended up being a bad capacitor. Only the compressor side went bad, which I thought was odd. I was under the impression, both would go at the same time. The first time I had checked, I only checked the fan side.

Reactions: Ian
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
It ended up being a bad capacitor. Only the compressor side went bad, which I thought was odd. I was under the impression, both would go at the same time. The first time I had checked, I only checked the fan side.
Caps do fail and tend to do so more often in the later summer months after much extended use. 69 degrees! Damn, you guys like it frosty, LOL
If it should happen again, their is more going on than just a cap failing, its a symptom sometimes of an aging compressor, requiring higher amperage to start. If so, consider getting a hard start relay kit. It has an additional capacitor and a relay that takes the cap out of the circuit once up and running.

Ask a Question