Help with Basement window, Deep Sill. How do I finish?

TCD

Reaction score
After several years we finally get to re-do my nephews basement. The basement is a classic poured concrete wall, with the brick pattern molded in, We are going to put in a 2x4 wall, with ½” drywall over an insulated base of ¾” sheet foam and unfaced insulation batting. We got to the framing part, and I am stumped on what/how to do the large window.

A little background: The window is set into a rough opening in poured concrete wall, with a wood frame that goes all the way around on four sides. It almost looks like the original builder had a smaller window that was needed and made a major "frame" all around the window so it would fit. When we framed out the window for the wall, we found out from watching videos that we should frame to match the rough opening, which we did. However, we have a rather large space to fill between the frame and the window! Understanding the window is NOT supported by our framing, so there is NO need to have the usual stud pattern to support the window, ie, cripple studs, etc.

How do we approach that?
How do we finish this?

I looked up and found something called a “deep box window jamb” where you apparently create a box, and put it in place, then secure and drywall and “Bob’s yer uncle. “

Is this the correct way to do it? I was planning on using 1x6 pine or even MDB for the box, and using 2x4 for the braces.

I hope my pictures show what I have and what I am trying to do
1) Wall from front
2) Wall from the side
3) Do I just build the "box jamb", and put it in with insulation and small braces, then
4) Drywall?
window 7.jpg
window 6.jpg
window 7a.jpg
window 7b.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

TCD

Reaction score
Should be MDF... Sorry!!
(BTW, since read more about MDF and it looks like that it is a DEFINITE no go for windowsills. Too reactive with moisture!
TCD

Reaction score
You could easily do as you suggest. Nice plan. I like a wider stool, but we are plant people and my wife never met a knick knack she did not like. I would probably end up with a built in surround with shelves or something to please her. It looks like sheet rock and stool trim would bring that sill out at least an inch, so what look would suit that room trim wise? What trim is being used elsewhere is what I am curious about.

Ask a Question