Heat pump constant temp

Bud

Reaction score
My heat pump will come up to set temp but not above to shut off, heat pump and or power strips. I have to turn it up 2 degrees above set temp and turn it back down after it reaches new temp to get it to shut off. I just did that and it's in the mid 40s and sunny. It will now stay off for hours, thoughts?

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
When I first was exposed to Heat Pumps - the most common statement made most often to me is:
Set the thermostat to your comfort temperature and LEAVE IT THERE!!! Heat pumps do NOT do well with thermostat manipulation - you will invite frequent repair calls. Heat pumps NEED to stabilize their internal pressures - if you interfere, by 'pressing buttons', it causes the system ---- stress.

Setting 'night' or 'not at home' temps. five degrees variance (65 - 70) [is counter productive] this causes the auxiliary heat to turn 'on' because the system is not built/designed to know you will WAIT for the temp. to reach that 5 degree increase. Once the time set is reached - after a couple of seconds the system will activate auxiliary heat to get to 70 degrees as quickly as possible viewing the set temp is an DEMAND.
Remedy: either sit there and increase the settings by one degree as the thermometer increases (will take a couple hours to do this) or 'set it and forget it!' This should be the mantra for heat pumps.

You are having a hard time having your system set to 70 degrees 24 hours a day. Consider this: The 70 degree set temp WILL warm up all your surfaces - which will help keep your home warm. Resulting in less cycling and reduced system operating times/shorter running periods.
WHY??? Would you allow all the walls, floors, etc to cool off. This 'fights' against the system to heat the living space. Once the surfaces warm up - the system will only need to warm the homes void/empty space.

NOTE: IF you have access to the installer level programming....set the FAN to remain 'on' for one hour after the outside unit turns off - since the system has heated - the ductwork, etc. - this moves that residual very warm air into your living space for an hour. Fans are cheap to operate. I do not offer how to access higher access because YOU can get yourself into trouble fast! The most important settings are few and already available to you.

After years of mistakes, ignorance, bad advice - even by installers.....the above allowed me peace, lower bills and an system that worked longer than the past.

Some say their bills are high but reluctant to state the numbers - here is mine.

I was talked into an smaller tonnage by a very convincing Heat Pump installer. later I discovered I should have had an larger system. Was not very Heat Pump savvy at the time.
An 4 ton system removed - an 2.5 ton in its place. 1900 sq. feet, all electric home on hill (500 ft up) on river with moderate to high winds. This smaller system works at its maximum to heat my home. An 3.5 ton/ 4 ton would not work as hard and have an longer life.
Heating season - with outside temps down to 45 degrees - the return air is 90-94 degrees - electric bill is +/- $175.00 to $200.00 a month. Outside temps 40 - 30 degrees; return air 88-90 degrees $250.00 - $300.00.
Outside temps. 28 - 15; return air 80 degrees system remaining on much longer along with auxiliary heat 'on' at night - $350.00 +. Lower than 15 - auxiliary heat on frequently - $450.00 for Jan/Feb.
Cooling season - $145.00- $160.00 per month. Just whole house fan in two mild and dryer months - $120.00

In the North east - many roof installers will offer Ridge vents. What a mistake!!! All that hot air under your roof which would keep you warm unavailable to you. The attic heat from the Sun works with your Heat Pump in the Winter months. You need every bit of heating advantage you can get - the sun heating your roof is FREE.
When deciding about Ridge vents: IF your comfort temp. is 80 degrees w/o humidity - that is 16 degrees under body temperature of 98.6. Now - think about the comfort temp. you like or set in Winter and Summer. The temperature difference between the thermostat setting and your core temperature of 98.6 relative to the outdoor temperatures. Heating is more important than cooling because of the expense.
In the summer - install an thermostatically controlled fan in the attic!

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
If you do not want the electric resistance heat coming on , unless it it REALLY needed , turn it off .

Wyr
God bless

Ask a Question