Gutter seals.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

One of our plastic corner gutter seals is leaking and it's been giving me a few problems. I bought a new squareline corner from Wickes and painted it because our gutters etc are colour coded to the bungalow paintwork; it came as a surprise to find the corner too big when I tried to install it; I thought these were standard sizes?
I've got the original corner and two new corners all having different seals. Then it occurred to me the gutters might be Marley; I installed them 29 years ago when we replaced the roof? I browsed the web looking for Marley and WOW new gutter seals are readily available; the first site I looked at the seals were about £1.50 each but with £10 P&P. Browsing eBay and I was soon sorted out;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marley-R...089221&hash=item41b696595e:g:cgUAAOSw4CFY64hj

I thought this worth passing on because I didn't know gutter seals could be bought seperately? :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good tip :D.

We had a very similar problem a few years back - I went to B&Q to see what they had, but nothing would fit the unusual profile gutters we have.

After a bit of searching, it turned out eBay were selling new originals pretty cheap - so I fixed the leaky part and bought a few spares (brackets mainly, as a couple were already failing). I do love eBay for hard to find things!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Ian; yes eBay can solve many problems. :)

The new seals arrived a short while ago and are now installed; as usual I smeared the seal face with a finger wetted with washing up liquid which makes a superb lubricant for gutter work. Fingers crossed the leak is cured; where's my pet black cloud Blackie when I actually need him to put a nice heavy cloudburst down to test the new seals?

Kind regards, Colin.

Reactions: Ian
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

What a palaver; the gutter still leaks even with the new seals installed after I had been so careful.

This morning I've removed the gutter corner once again which should have a zip around it given the number of times it's been removed; this time I've added silicone sealant before clipping up; lets see it leak now and if it does then next time I'll replace the entire gutter.:mad: When I do a job I only usually do it once so this gutter corner is just winding me up but it won't beat me because I'll have the last laugh seeing it at our local tip? It's forecast heavy rain so bring it on and test the gutter corner. :):):)

Seldom do I nip myself but one of the gutter clips nipped me this morning breaking skin; it's amazing how much blood comes out of a small puncture wound.

Next job is to lift an heavy 3' x 2' flag which has started to click when walked upon but I won't be physically lifting it so I'm looking for suitable mechanical advantage; I'm not in a panic but these jobs if left alone only cause collateral damage.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ask a Question