Bottle Jack Repair: Where can I source these nylon spacers?

Reaction score
Hello, I'm trying to reseal this bottle jack. The jack works fine but leaks fluid. The leak is from the top of the pump plunger. I removed the plunger and there is an internal groove cut into the bore of the pump cylinder. The groove contained the black o-ring and the white ?nylon? spacer designated by the orange arrows in the photograph. The common black o-rings are sold locally. My question is: Does anyone know of a vendor that sells those white nylon spacers? I've tried the fastener websites, but have come up empty handed. This one is 11mm ID x 15mm OD x 1mm thick. Thanks

Attachments

Reaction score
Those types of rings are fairly easy to make if you can’t find one. Measure the thickness and buy a sheet of the same thickness of Mylar, Nylon or similar material. Drill a hole the size of the inside diameter. Next, rough cut the outside diameter oversized and sand to the correct diameter. This is somewhat time consuming but if it is the only option it will do.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Follow up post: Thanks for your input. In the interim, I have done a little research and determined that this plastic ring is called a "PTFE teflon backup ring" and it prevents the o-ring from extruding when hydraulic pressure is exerted. They sell these PTFE rings on the o-ring websites (such as o-ringstore.com and others), but this one is metric. Its 11mmID x 2mmwidth x 1.25mm thickness. There are places that sell metric ptfe backup rings (such as mfpseals.com), but this size is special order and they need a lead time of 6-8weeks and minimum order is $25 etc etc. May not be worth the trouble and expense to repair this one jack, but I actually have two bottle jacks that need this ptfe back up ring. And one of them is a special bottle jack that goes on my hydraulic press. I'll probably bite the bullet and put in a special order. Thanks again.

Ask a Question