Bostitch/Stanley 6hp wet & dry vacuum low suction problem

Reaction score
Hi group first post. I have a 2013 Bostitch - Stanley 10 gallon 6hp dual stage motor wet and dry vacuum. I love how quiet this unit is but I am doing some outdoor wood repairs and noticed how weak the pick up/suction is.

I ran a pvc pipe through the hose (2.5" hose) and nothing was blocking, I tried 3 different filters/bags and see no improvement. Next, I took the motor off and discovered no float/ball/cup that's odd, I continued to disassemble to check the impeller/blades and see if anything was blocking.

The only thing I noticed was a solder joint was bad I heated the solder joint and added some solder and that fixed the post from coming out, but zero improvement. I wanted to see if anyone sold parts but the parent company altonindustries is just a terrible customer service company. Found nothing on their site, stanleys or bostitich. Called them and they said the entire motor/float/cage was all one unit but the manual shows it as pieces. She said 30.00 and 13 shipping which isn't bad but no part numbers or any way to order it.

Would anyone know how to test the motor or tell me if there is anything I can do.

Reaction score
I don’t know exactly how to check the motor but I have something else that may be of help. My Home Depot shop vac did the same thing. I did exactly what you did, cleaned the hose and checked the filter. No improvement. I found that the intake hose had a crack that was not visible but allowed enough air to affect the suction. Put your hand over the end of the hose to check the suction and then remove the hose and check at the vacuum intake. If it feels the same then your problem is elsewhere.

By the way, welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hi thanks for that suggestion but I did test it without the hose and put my hand over the opening no power I bought a 3hp and the difference is at least 90%

Reaction score
Unless there is something wrong with the impeller or it has an air leak somewhere, it must have a problem in the motor. Probably not worth trying to repair now that you have a new one.

Ask a Question