Band Saw at Aldi On Sunday

Ad

Advertisements

R

Rob Hamadi

Hmm an endless belt of sharp metal whirling around just inches from my
face in a container built down to the lowest possible price.
Hmmmm, now that you mention it.... and I was toying with the idea of
getting one too!

In truth though, I'd be surprised if it was any more dangerous than
any other band saw. More failure prone maybe and less accurate (like a
cheap jig saw) quite possibly, but I'd be surprised if it developed a
reputation for flying apart and into people's faces.

Still, time may very well tell.

G

George

Steve Firth said:
Hmm an endless belt of sharp metal whirling around just inches from my
face in a container built down to the lowest possible price.
Funny you should say that...I havn't had belts of flying metal from their
Bench Saw bought 3 years ago,although its accuracy leaves a lot to be
desired with a fine cut blade it rips wood perfectly.

Suggest you try their power tools before knocking your knees together,for
the price they are good tools if your are not a perfectionist.
I've only got a gripe about their electrical stuff which is shite.

Reaction score
Country
United States
a cheep food chain run by foreigners to sell foreign food of a lesser quality. not for me either. in this instance ya get what ya pay for.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

A cheap bandsaw is better than no bandsaw; when I started woodworking 44 years ago I'd have loved one of these bandsaws. It's hardly a gamble buying one after all they come with a three year warranty; if doubtful just keep the packaging. For the money the spec isn't bad they come with mitre gauge and spare blade but I would recommend top quality blades from Trucut where I've bought my blades for years; it's the blade that makes a great deal of difference because it does the work;

http://www.trucutbandsaws.co.uk/

Obviously at the price these bandsaw's aren't in the same class as Wadkin but for a home workshop where they aren't in full time use year in year out they should be worth the money.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
a cheep food chain run by foreigners to sell foreign food of a lesser quality. not for me either. in this instance ya get what ya pay for.
Racist remarks are not welcome here. Aldi in the UK is run entirely by british management and most of their grocery products are UK sourced. Thank goodness they have publicly committed to no chlorine-washed chicken from the USA.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How strange. Your first sentence and last sentence seem diametrically opposed.
No, the OP's remark was aimed generally at 'foreigners' whereas my response referred specifically to a product and its source. Don't twist my words.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm beginning to understand why this site is dying a slow death. If I write something that may be beneficial there is no response at all, but I'm a foreigner. If I answer a question that can be criticized there is a quick response to counteract.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm beginning to understand why this site is dying a slow death. If I write something that may be beneficial there is no response at all, but I'm a foreigner. If I answer a question that can be criticized there is a quick response to counteract.
Isn't that what social media is all about? A sharing of viewpoints. By your standards, I am a foreigner too, being Swiss by birth. Even so, I join in discussions and don't feel or act like a victim.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
That's what I thought Col. You and I always have had a harmonious relationship here and on other forums. In fact, you introduced me to this one.

Colin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Colin; as you rightly say you and I rub along very well together having done so for some time and it's sure to continue. :D

I never regarded this forum having foreigners after all we can always disagree and be polite in doing so; I don't read every thread/post because I select the ones of particular interest to me and those I can reply to in a positive manner. It can be disappointing to add a new thread and not receive a single reply but this has never stopped me posting; here's such a thread from a new member which caught my attention and to date I'm the only member to reply;

https://www.diy-forums.com/threads/my-homemade-backhoe-excavator-project.290882/

Being a mechanical engineer this thread appealed to me and full credit to Ben for adding it. Not only has Ben made use of an otherwise scrap car he's created a very useful fully working machine which I'd have loved to have the use of during my time grafting the hard way by hand in our gardens.

Ben's from India; his grasp of English is 100% better than my grasp of his language; I browsed the web out of curiosity to see which part of the world he came from.

I do at times poke a bit of fun at our American friends due to their spelling and pronunciation such as Solder in English is now Sodder in American but certainly no malice or offence ever intended; this sort of thing just throws me a bit as does calling a garden a yard. We're all different and it's very easy indeed to cause offence by the use of text alone; in text something could be regarded as insulting but in person with body language the same thing could end up in a good laugh between both parties. Many years ago I attended a works training course and the subject of the course was "Ambiguity" I can and still make mistakes in fact I always will however careful I am.

I used to be a member of a much bigger DIY forum but couldn't stand the swearing and back stabbing so I politely walked away after all we can choose which forums we like or dislike; I like this forum for it's open friendliness; let's all make it even better; I keep adding threads just rambling on but at least I'm joining in and if my threads are ignored I'm a big lad and won't cry over it; I've made many excellent friends through forums such as the other Colin on here.

I joined the biggest machinist forum in the world and was very insulted indeed when I asked a question about my wayward Hydrovane compressor; the member concerned openly stated I shouldn't be posting on the forum only having my small home workshop; after lots of research and carrying out a unique repair I posted my story on the forum and to date I think it remains the only hands on repair to an Hydrovane compressor on the web; I didn't fall out I simply ignored this particular member in future.

Once again I've rambled on but I don't fancy wandering down to the workshop getting wet in the rain; I hope I'm not preaching.

Kind regards, Colin.

Ad

Advertisements

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Colin, I fully agree, but I was particularly annoyed about the 'foreigners' comment as I suffered bullying due to similar comment in my schooldays. As you see further up in the thread, I am Swiss by birth and German is my first language. You can imagine the insults and bullying re the German link so soon after WW2 ended. The comment about 'foreigners' also amused me because, unless the chap has First Nation roots, his forebears were the foreigners and immigrants, legal or illegal. To me it makes no difference whatever race, colour, religion, or nationality ....... we are fellow humans. Live and let live, open up our minds to others.

There I'll get down from my soapbox now.

Colin

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question