Which paint for meter box?

Reaction score
I've got a standard UK electricity meter box which was painted around 10 years ago, but it is now flaking off and I have replaced the door (bright white).

I'd like to clean it up to re-paint, but would like to know the best way to do this?

My thoughts are to clean up the flaking paint with a wire brush/sanding, but I'm not sure which sort of paint I should be using. Would standard brown outdoor gloss adhere to plastic/old paint, or should I be using a special plastic paint instead?

Reaction score
Hi spork

Some may disagree, but I would go with a standard exterior gloss. Two or three coats as needed, but no undercoat. Reason being that gloss is a little flexible (at least for a while) whilst undercoat tends to be much less so, the plastic box will expand and contract with temperature.

Reaction score
Thank you John, I've picked up a brown outdoor gloss (Wilkinsons version of WeatherShield) and some wire wool, I just need to wait for the rain to stop!

I'll take as much of the flaking paint off as possible, then key the rest with the wire wool to give it some grip.

Ask a Question