Washing machine drain backing up

Reaction score

Washing machine drain is backing up
Hello all! My washing machine drain is backing up and I can't figure out why..

I bought my house a few months ago and it came with a 2010 Samsung VRT washer and dryer. First couple of uses, the washer leaked a little bit but stopped on its own after 3 or so times. I never determined (never looked...) the cause of that leak since it was minor and fixed itself. The washer then functioned fine for about 3 months until I sold it and installed my other set, 2012 Whirlpool Cabrio Platinum. The newer washer backs up in the washer drain every single time, and it is quite a bit of water. I have a 1" washer drain hose going into a 2" drain pipe.

I've poured Draino into it, I've used a short plumber snake (barely reached the trap) and pulled nothing out, and I've used one of those balloons that expands in the pipe and spray a small stream out (admittedly, I may not have used it properly or did any good with it). The drain pipe itself does drain water - I've put a garden hose in it on full blast and it didn't back up. I guess the washing machine just puts out water so fast it does back it up..

Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this? I have almost no plumbing experience but want to learn and try to do as much on my own as I can. Thank you!

Reaction score
Hi jeff A

A washing machine can pump out a very high volume of water. It's not easy to try and come up with an answer without knowing more about the waste pipe arrangement. Obviously it must be clear throughout it's length, and more importantly, correctly installed.
Can I suggest that you start by removing the trap. That'll give you a good idea if the problem is due to blockage.

Reaction score
Thanks JohnKay. To remove the trap, I'd have to saw it off completely and reattach a new pipe, right? I can do that but I'm concerned that is a lot of work just to troubleshoot. I'm completely new to plumbing work, though, so please correct me if it is easier than that! I'm attaching a picture of what the pipe looks like. Thanks,

Jeff

Attachments

Reaction score
I'm surprised to see that pipe in what seems to be copper, with no obvious means of clearing. The norm these days would be plastic, and easy to unscrew. So next thing then, what is the other side of the wall ? and what is the length of pipe above the trap, and it's bore size?

Reaction score
The pipe goes through the wall and under the kitchen floor/ceiling basement. I can access it from the basement. The stand pipe is 24" long and 2" in diameter.

Ask a Question