Washing comes out smelling horrible from new washing machine

Reaction score
We got rid of our old washing machine as soon as we noticed washing was coming out smelling horrible. But its Still happening with new washing machine. I now suspect it could be to do with the waste pipe which is now connected to soil pipe outside. It started around about the time we had our machine moved and had new waste pipes fitted. Has anyone had this problem? It was no where near soil pipe previously and never had this problem?

Reaction score
When any waste pipe is connected into a soil pipe there has to be a trap ( U bend ) that stays full of water to stop smells blowing down the soil pipe and into your house.

On a washing machine connected to a soil stack the usual way if for the pipe to rise slightly from the stack to the machine and then a washing machine trap is fitted that has a trap at the bottom and then a stand pipe to hook the washing machine waste hose into.

If soil was passing up the waste pipe to the W/M and blocking it, every time the W/M emptied, waste and water would come from the top of the stand pipe.

I don't think what waste can get into the W/M especially if you have a stand pipe with the hose into the top but is it just the smell blowing through if a trap has not been fitted ?

Look here.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=e...w=116&start=0&ndsp=21&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:77

Could it be the soap powder ?

Reaction score
There is a stand waste pipe next to washing machine. But the pipe then travels horizontally out to the soil pipe connected with no u bend. I've tried several washing powders so I know it's not that. Even when I have taken the washing out of the machine the smell lingers for a while inside the drum. I think my plumber needs to sort this problem. We've had it since he fitted the new waste pipes when we moved our washing machine from its original place in the kitchen.

Reaction score
If you have no trap you will get smells coming in from the soil stack, may-be this is whats causing your clothes to smell ?. Get your plumber back if there is no trap. This is a very basic mistake and easily rectified.

Reaction score
Still Smelly Washing

If you have no trap you will get smells coming in from the soil stack, may-be this is whats causing your clothes to smell ?. Get your plumber back if there is no trap. This is a very basic mistake and easily rectified.
Hi, had original plumber around to check out the washing maching, he said that there was a trap, and couldn't understand why there was a smell to the washing.

I am going to get a second opinion from another plumber. I did a test today, and put in a clean towel, and put it on the rinse cycle with a no spin action. I wanted to see if the washing smelt still full of water. Well, the smell when I opened the washing machine to the still sopping wet towel was disgusting. Worse than ever. I rang the waterboard, to see if it could be water supply, and they asked me to run a glass of water from sink tap, and see it it smelled, but it didn't. They said it could be due to a Non Return Valve not being fittted, as if not this could produce a vacuum in the waste pipe, may draw dirty water back into washing machine or smell from soil pipe, once the water had stopped being pumped out of the machine through the waste pipe.

I am hoping another plumber can sort this problem for me, as I am at my wits end with it. Strangely, there are occasions when the washing doesn't smell, but not very often. Also I noticed on certain days that when I open the machine its very warm inside it, but don't understand why as it rinses in cold water. I seem to think its when the weather is warm outside, and the soil pipe that runs down the side of the house is in direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hi Kajay
Did you get this sorted yet?
If not, can you post some photos of the waste pipes? It sounds like that you are missing a "u" trap between the machine and the soil pipe.

Reaction score
Hi, I managed to solve the problem. I took connected my machine to another pipe connection and it was fine. But, in pulling out my machine, I noticed that the waste hose pipe, did not have the clip on it to stop it going too far down the waste pipe. What I think happened was the hose pipe was too far down the waste pipe, so it was actually sitting in the water at the u trap. This I think was causing a suction back up through the hose. Since I have attached the clip to keep it at the top of the waste stand it has not had the awful smell since. I'm happy to have lovely smelling washing at long last!! Thanks for you concern and offer of help ;)

Ask a Question