"Un-Splitting" DSL and Voice

Reaction score
Hello-
When the phone company hooked up my phone line several years ago, he did it so that I would not need to use a filter. The technician separated my data and voice lines. All of the jacks in my house can access voice but no data, except for one jack (which can access data, but no voice). The problem is that the jack for data is in my basement and I want to place my wireless DSL router in a different spot so that devices throughout the house can access the wireless signal better.

The jack in which I wish to move the DSL model to currently is only hooked up to voice. I would like to use the jack for both voice and DSL. It is old wiring (only a red, green, and yellow), so I cannot wire the voice on the red/green and the data on the yellow/black. I see that the incoming voice lines are the blue-white/white-blue combo and the data is on the green-white/green-white combo. I could run new wire to this jack, but I'd rather not since I would have to drill though my floor to feed the phone wire to the basement.

My question is this: If I splice together the incoming voice line, the incoming data line, and the two wires going to the jack that I want to use as voice & data, would this work? Would it likely create any problems?

Thank you!

Ask a Question