Treating fence wood for termites

Reaction score
I have an existing fence that is riddled with termites. It was painted, but it seems like they are everywhere. It makes me wonder whether there were termites in the wood prior to building.

Is there some way to soak the wood prior to construction with a termite treatment? Or to mix it into the paint?

I'm planning on replacing it with the same scalloped picket design that I currently have up. It requires a relatively smooth finish on each of the pickets.

Thanks.

Reaction score
Best approach is to use treated lumber. 1x and 2x material are not rated for ground contact. Posts should be installed with at least 6 inches of gravel beneath them, this allows for drainage and deters termites as the stone shifting breaks their mud tubes open and they dry out. You can brush on copper napathrene for extra protection. Another option is to use wood that is naturally a resistant to wood destroying insects and water damage such as cedar, redwood, locust and so on.

Ask a Question