Thinking of sharing

Reaction score
I have been thinking about teaching people techniques at their own homes in painting and decorating that will help them achieve professional finishes in half the time it would normally take them. What are your thoughts?
I would charge a day rate for one day and then an hourly rate for any extra hands on help. I thought this might appeal to those who can't afford to pay a professional to do a whole job but struggle to do it on their own.
It is not my intention to do decorators out of business, I just think this would cater for those who would like to do it themselves on a very limited budget.
I look forward to hearing your comments.

Reaction score
Hi
On the face of it - a good idea. Back in the 60's when DIY was 'the thing' there was loads of information available. There were at least 3 magazines handing out some very good information, and plenty of very good books. It seems that most of this has dried up, and even books on DIY now are often incorrect, (who writes this stuff)

Having said that, I can't see quite how your idea will work. I would think the first problem is one of timing. DIY work tends to be done in evenings and weekends.

You would surely have to start by assessing the job, and giving a lecture on the materials and tools to obtain. Not easy trying to tell someone how to choose a quality brush for instance.

You're also up against it with the DIY industry, who seem to spend vast sums making out that decorating is easy. Then there's the TV makeover shows - do a whole house in 3 days !
Paint manufacturers selling retail paint thats supposed to be quick and easy. I wonder how many cans get used whithout anyone reading the info on the back.

My last point, your credentials may get questioned "That's the way I was told" We all have our own ways of doing things learnt from experience. That's OK if you do a job yourself correctly, proving you're right, others may disagree when your advice is discussed with other DIYers down the pub, or with nieghbours.

OK, that's my thoughts, if you decide to go for it - my best wishes.

Reaction score
I think it would work out well, as ong as you know what you are talking about. Some people may not know how to do a home project, but they will know if you are trying to freestyle on them. Not saying you will do that, but the average person will know. Second, you have to market yourself as some kind of an athourity or expert. If you had a website withratings and feedback, I think you would be golden!

Reaction score
I think this would be a fabulous business! Most people are looking for convenience and quick results. Your service would provide exactly that! Let us know your new business name!

Ask a Question