Tapcon bit flat chuck

Reaction score
Problem: The recommended Tapcon bits are too short. The screws bottom-out and spall the concrete.

Sometimes I can buy a longer bit. Sometimes I can't.

My workaround is to drop a 3/4" screw down the chuck before I insert the bit into my hammerdrill. Sometimes the chuck jams. Sometimes I lose the screw. Always it is extra steps and frustrating. Inconvenient.

I notice that the Tapcon bits have a flat. I assume the flat is to keep the bit from slipping in the chuck. My hammerdrill doesn't have a flat inside the chuck. My pro told me all hammerdrills have a flat inside the chuck. I looked at the drill motors on his shelves, but near as I can tell, none of them have flats.

When Tapcon recommends a particular bit for a particular anchor screw, they MUST be thinking of some kind of chuck that I've never seen - something that leaves half-inch more bit protruding.

Tapcon was unresponsive to questions.

I have a lot of 5/32" holes to drill. I want a drill motor with that chuck. Who makes it and where do I get it?

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Reaction score
They make a installation tool called Condrive 1000 that goes on any drill but best on
a hammer drill. They are kind of pricey but if you have a lot of anchors to install
they are worth every penny. Prices run about 25 to 45 dollars.
The bit with the flat side installs in its own holder. It then goes into the drill chuck.
The install tool has a tube that slides over the bit and it holder. On the end of that tube
is the nut driver that can be changed in sizes,that drives the Tapcon into the concrete. So you don't have to
remove the bit for a nut driver. Remove the tube nut driver off drill bit and drill hole, install tube over the bit
and drive the tapcon.
The kits utilizes the flat side of that bit, it has a allen screw set and yes the bit can be slightly
adjusted out further when deep holes are wanted.
This is a great tool but as with anything, sometimes you have to adjust things that are not in
the book.
I have us water in the holes to give slight lubrication to the screws to prevent them from breaking
off.
Its best to get some of the longest bits and just gauge your holes depth.

Larry

Ask a Question