Sump crock drained without pumping?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I was filling my water softener with salt and noticed the sump pump running and sounding really bad like the motor was failing. Also the crock was full of water and not going down with the pump running.

I pulled the pedestal style pump out of the crock and noticed the base was rusted and had holes in the seams. I left the pump out and went to the store to buy a new one.

I came back with the new pump, went in the basement and too my surprise the crock was empty and all the water gone. It had drained by itself in about 40 minutes.

I installed the new pump but it's been two days now and no water has filled back into the crock. It's an old style crock- just a round hole in the cement with no liner and two pipes coming into it on opposite sides.

My question is where did the water go and why did it stop coming back? As far as I know there has always been a little water in the bottom but now its just some sand and a couple bricks down there.

Thanks for the help!

Ask a Question