Structural Garage Joists?

Reaction score
I have a conventional style roof in my 21'x21' garage. There are three 2x6 joists equally spaced 64" apart, which run the length of the garage from the door opening to a partition wall. I know they terminate at the wall because they are below the interior room ceiling (indicated by green line in attached image) and they are not protruding into the room. I cannot determine how they are attached inside the wall, since it's all covered by drywall. There is also a 2x6 (marked with the red line) which spans the width of the garage and lays on top of the joists; some electrical runs along this span, but it doesnt appear to be holding anything together.

I'm trying to make room for an 18' canoe, and I was wondering if these joists could be partially removed, so I can mount a hoist on the roof rafters and store it up in the dead space.

Since I have a wall, that runs from the floor to the roof decking, I'm wondering if these joists are truly structural. Regardless, they are still serving the purpose of holding my opener and garage door tracks, so I was thinking (if these are deemed non-critical) I could cut off the joists just behind 2x6 running parallel to the ridge (red line) and run a 2x4 vertical support up to the rafters for each of the 3 "joists". This would create a completely open space the whole width of the garage where I could easily hoist up the canoe.

Thoughts? Thanks!

Attachments

Ask a Question