self-service tills

Reaction score
The idea of removing staff and using automated checkouts is failing miserably.

Each of my visits to stores is producing progressively more problems in attempting to be an honest customer.

It has, this evening, taken a member of staff five separate visits to correct false actions of the self-service checkout. In frustration she took me to a "proper" till and completed service from that without difficulty.

Why do management leave early and expect floor staff to cope with all such harrassment?

Reaction score
I agree, I hate self service checkouts, particularly the shouty, annoying voice which repeats all instructuions if you pause for even a second... :mad:

Reaction score
Ugh couldn't agree more. And it's not even like it cuts the wages bill, because they still have to employ staff to stand next to the machines to sort the problems out and tell people how to use them!

Reaction score
People with trolleys should be banned from using them, they take ages and just get in the way.

Reaction score
Just wait until there is one member of staff running around 30 of these things, while each shopper is watched by cameras connected to a central control room.

You heard it here first :)

Reaction score
I don't have a problem with them. However, I only use them if I've got a basket ( i.e. not a trolley), and generally I only need staff attention if I have alcohol or other 'age-dependent' items (big laugh - I'm over 70...).
One staff member looks after 4 of these in Morrison's, so they need 3 less people.

Reaction score
I'm 39 and I still get asked for ID. Last time I got impeded was by a spotty boy who looked about 15. I was shopping with my other half and the checkout boy concluded I must be shopping with my dad so he let me through!
:D

Reaction score
I was once in B&Q at a self service and was having some trouble. The attendant came over to provide assistance which resulted in her taking over completely. When I got home I checked my receipt and she'd only scanned through half the stuff! Which got me thinking that it would be easy to be dishonest, since they clearly can't do it properly themselves.

Reaction score
I once had to get assistance at the self checkout because the vanilla essence i was buying had more than 0.5% alcohol in it!! Luckily they didn't ID me for that though...

Ask a Question