Seeking round toilet bowl for Flushometer

Discussion in 'Home Repair' started by Don Wiss, May 25, 2012.

  1. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
    Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
    very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
    on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
    an antique effect.

    On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
    a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
    you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
    I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
    was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.

    I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
    elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.

    Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, May 25, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Don Wiss

    Evan Guest

    On May 25, 9:59 am, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    > I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
    > Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
    > very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
    > on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
    > an antique effect.
    >
    > On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
    > a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
    > you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
    > I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
    > was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.
    >
    > I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
    > elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.
    >
    > Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?
    >
    > Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).


    Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for
    commercial restrooms... It sounds like the toilet you
    have seen was installed long ago before that requirement
    came to be...

    Most residential plumbing systems can not support
    toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
    they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
    cycled open and close "hard" which could create
    a water-hammer effect...

    It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a
    properly equipped bathroom inside of it...
    Unless you are willing to get creative and
    consider a one-piece solution in the form
    of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type
    found in Japanese urban living units or inside
    of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...

    Good luck...
     
    Evan, May 25, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan <> wrote:

    >Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for
    >commercial restrooms... It sounds like the toilet you
    >have seen was installed long ago before that requirement
    >came to be...


    It was installed in 1995 or 1996. I wonder when that code change came?

    >Most residential plumbing systems can not support
    >toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
    >they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
    >cycled open and close "hard" which could create
    >a water-hammer effect...


    I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
    have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
    water.

    >It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a
    >properly equipped bathroom inside of it...
    >Unless you are willing to get creative and
    >consider a one-piece solution in the form
    >of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type
    >found in Japanese urban living units or inside
    >of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...


    I was trying to get a toilet from The Netherlands. One with a wall tank and
    little wasted space behind the bowl. But I was not able to find anyone
    willing to ship one to the US.

    I can fit a regular toilet, but it would be tight. I want to have as much
    space as possible between the toilet and sink.

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, May 25, 2012
    #3
  4. Don Wiss

    dadiOH Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:
    > I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
    > Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick
    > out very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few
    > have tanks on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall
    > tank is solely for an antique effect.
    >
    > On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl
    > with a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are
    > the values you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl
    > was the shortest I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called
    > their contractor and it was so long ago he no longer remembers what
    > make the bowl is.
    >
    > I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
    > elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.
    >
    > Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?



    Any reason why you can't use a plain-jane round front toilet and put a Sloan
    valve on it?

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    ....a help file of info about MP3s, recording from
    LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that.
    Get it at http://mysite.verizon.net/xico
     
    dadiOH, May 25, 2012
    #4
  5. Don Wiss

    Dan Espen Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> writes:

    > On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan <> wrote:
    >
    >>Most residential plumbing systems can not support
    >>toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
    >>they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
    >>cycled open and close "hard" which could create
    >>a water-hammer effect...

    >
    > I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
    > have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
    > water.


    You'd need 1.25 from the street.

    That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

    --
    Dan Espen
     
    Dan Espen, May 25, 2012
    #5
  6. Don Wiss

    Evan Guest

    On May 25, 1:57 pm, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan <> wrote:
    > >Elongated bowl toilets are required by building code for
    > >commercial restrooms...  It sounds like the toilet you
    > >have seen was installed long ago before that requirement
    > >came to be...

    >
    > It was installed in 1995 or 1996. I wonder when that code change came?
    >
    > >Most residential plumbing systems can not support
    > >toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
    > >they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
    > >cycled open and close "hard" which could create
    > >a water-hammer effect...

    >
    > I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation and I
    > have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow to get
    > water.
    >
    > >It sounds as if your closet is too small to fit a
    > >properly equipped bathroom inside of it...
    > >Unless you are willing to get creative and
    > >consider a one-piece solution in the form
    > >of a combined sink/toilet unit of the type
    > >found in Japanese urban living units or inside
    > >of prisoner cells in correctional facilities...

    >
    > I was trying to get a toilet from The Netherlands. One with a wall tank and
    > little wasted space behind the bowl. But I was not able to find anyone
    > willing to ship one to the US.
    >
    > I can fit a regular toilet, but it would be tight. I want to have as much
    > space as possible between the toilet and sink.
    >
    > Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).


    Your toilet from the Netherlands would cause you more
    trouble than not, you would have to prove to the plumbing
    inspector's satisfaction that said fixture complies with
    all applicable building and plumbing codes enforced in
    your area...

    This is sounding like an open and shut case of what
    you want to do won't fit where you want to put it...
     
    Evan, May 25, 2012
    #6
  7. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:07:35 -0400, Dan Espen <> wrote:

    >You'd need 1.25 from the street.
    >That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.


    That is what I have from the street. But then it gets reduced to 1" before
    the water meter, and remains 1" after the meter.

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, May 25, 2012
    #7
  8. Don Wiss

    Evan Guest

    On May 25, 3:07 pm, Dan Espen <> wrote:
    > Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> writes:
    > > On Fri, 25 May 2012, Evan <> wrote:

    >
    > >>Most residential plumbing systems can not support
    > >>toilets equipped with flushometer type valves as
    > >>they use 1.25" feed lines to the valve and when
    > >>cycled open and close "hard" which could create
    > >>a water-hammer effect...

    >
    > > I can run whatever pipe is needed. This would be a new installation andI
    > > have a direct run to the cellar, where I have to run the pipe anyhow toget
    > > water.

    >
    > You'd need 1.25 from the street.
    >
    > That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.
    >
    > --
    > Dan Espen


    Yeah, it would, but watch him do it anyway without
    the proper sized main feed and post again baffled by
    all the odd noises which start happening in his other
    fixtures as suction occurs in the undersized lines...
     
    Evan, May 25, 2012
    #8
  9. Don Wiss

    EXT Guest

    "Don Wiss" <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I have a small closet where I want to install a toilet and small sink.
    > Finding a small sink is easy. Finding a US toilet that doesn't stick out
    > very far is hard. Most waste space with the tank behind. A few have tanks
    > on the wall, but those stick out just as much. The wall tank is solely for
    > an antique effect.
    >
    > On a house tour I came across a neighbor that has a round toilet bowl with
    > a Flushometer. For those not familiar with the word, these are the values
    > you see in public places that don't use a tank. The bowl was the shortest
    > I've seen. There was no name on the bowl. I called their contractor and it
    > was so long ago he no longer remembers what make the bowl is.
    >
    > I tried searching. Every bowl I found for a Flushometer value was
    > elongated. I could not find a way to search to pull up a round bowl.
    >
    > Has anyone seen such a toilet bowl?
    >
    > Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).


    Don:
    According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
    be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
    your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
    could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
    it.
     
    EXT, May 26, 2012
    #9
  10. Don Wiss

    Evan Guest

    On May 25, 5:22 pm, Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2012 15:07:35 -0400, Dan Espen <> wrote:
    > >You'd need 1.25 from the street.
    > >That would be a pretty big water feed in a residence.

    >
    > That is what I have from the street. But then it gets reduced to 1" before
    > the water meter, and remains 1" after the meter.
    >
    > Don.www.donwiss.com(e-mail link at home page bottom).


    LOL...

    That means that you only have a 1" feed to your
    home...

    The size pipe from the street is ok but the meter
    and the piping after it throttle the flow to less than
    you would need for the one proposed toilet...
     
    Evan, May 26, 2012
    #10
  11. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Fri, 25 May 2012, EXT <> wrote:

    >According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
    >be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
    >your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
    >could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
    >it.


    Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
    one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
    seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
    and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
    bowl to be a problem.

    I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
    very negative.

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, May 26, 2012
    #11
  12. Don Wiss

    Home Guy Guest

    Don Wiss wrote:

    > I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has
    > become very negative.


    Yea, I've noticed that too.

    Far too many negative people around here.
     
    Home Guy, May 26, 2012
    #12
  13. Don Wiss

    Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012 00:38:49 -0400, Home Guy <> wrote:

    >Don Wiss wrote:
    >
    >> I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has
    >> become very negative.

    >
    >Yea, I've noticed that too.
    >
    >Far too many negative people around here.


    [..../]
    Irony
     
    , May 26, 2012
    #13
  14. On 5/25/2012 8:56 PM, Don Wiss wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 May 2012, EXT<> wrote:
    >
    >> According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
    >> be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
    >> your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
    >> could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
    >> it.

    >
    > Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
    > one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
    > seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
    > and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
    > bowl to be a problem.
    >
    > I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
    > very negative.
    >
    > Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).


    It's them dang foreigners and outer space aliens. ^_^

    TDD
     
    The Daring Dufas, May 26, 2012
    #14
  15. Don Wiss

    Evan Guest

    On May 26, 12:38 am, Home Guy <> wrote:
    > Don Wiss wrote:
    > > I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has
    > > become very negative.

    >
    > Yea, I've noticed that too.
    >
    > Far too many negative people around here.


    Ask a silly ass question that clearly shows you shouldn't
    get involved in home repairs beyond changing the light bulbs
    in your table lamps and using a phone book or the internet
    to locate someone who knows what they are doing and
    you get the responses you get...

    Simple as that...
     
    Evan, May 26, 2012
    #15
  16. Don Wiss

    Dan Espen Guest

    Don Wiss <donwiss@no_spam.com> writes:

    > On Fri, 25 May 2012, EXT <> wrote:
    >
    >>According to your name you are a male. Be aware that short round toilets can
    >>be very uncomfortable for males to use. When sitting down you may find that
    >>your "equipment" contacts the porcelain surface which does not feel good and
    >>could also pick up bacteria resulting in an urinary infection. Think about
    >>it.

    >
    > Despite my house having multiple toilets, one on each floor, I only use the
    > one on the third floor. It is a standard round toilet. Just like what I'm
    > seeking for the first floor (which is now located elsewhere on that floor
    > and currently has a standard round bowl. I have never considered a round
    > bowl to be a problem.
    >
    > I have noticed from my past couple posts that this newsgroup has become
    > very negative.


    Shame isn't it?

    Some people post here to share information and help others.

    I can't explain what goes on with the others.

    --
    Dan Espen
     
    Dan Espen, May 26, 2012
    #16
  17. Don Wiss

    Don Wiss Guest

    On Sat, 26 May 2012, Evan <> wrote:

    >Ask a silly ass question that clearly shows you shouldn't
    >get involved in home repairs beyond changing the light bulbs
    >in your table lamps and using a phone book or the internet
    >to locate someone who knows what they are doing and
    >you get the responses you get...


    And yet another negative post!!

    I got no useful information at all from this thread. But I was able to
    figure out the search terms to find what I wanted.

    First, I figured out that toilet bowl for a flushometer is called a "spud
    toilet bowl" and adding round to that finds that they do exist. Here's one:

    http://www.craneplumbing.com/productDetail.aspx?id=2892

    It is 24 5/8" deep. It requires 25 p.s.i. and 1" pipe. I can easily feed it
    1" pipe from the water meter. I spoke with the neighbor that has a
    flushometer. They have never had any water hammer. Their only problem was
    when the city was working on the water main dirt came in the pipe and it
    clogged up the value and they had to have a plumber clean it out.

    I then figured out the search term to use was "shortest projection toilet."
    And that found me a couple in the UK. Here's the shortest (22.8" deep):

    http://www.tradetaps.com/milton-ceramics-shortie-wc.html

    But shipping from the UK is prohibitive.

    I called Toto. Their shortest is 26 1/8" deep. I called American Standard.
    The woman that answered had no idea and told me to look at each one on
    their various websites. I left a voice mail for her supervisor. He called
    back with a 26 1/2" deep toilet that was their shortest. But I had also
    filled out their web form and asked. That came back with their shortest
    depth is 24 1/2". See:

    http://www.americanstandard-us.com/toilets/colony-fitright-round-toilet-10-inch-rough/

    It can be bought from Home Deport for $138 (no seat) and with free
    shipping:

    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202499686/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053

    Don. www.donwiss.com (e-mail link at home page bottom).
     
    Don Wiss, Jun 2, 2012
    #17
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. iain010100
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    179
    SteveB
    Jul 24, 2008
  2. SH
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    628
  3. meen

    flushometer v/s tank flush

    meen, Jun 28, 2008, in forum: Building Construction
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    151
    Craig M
    Jun 28, 2008
  4. Charles Williams

    ADA ROUND BOWL

    Charles Williams, Feb 27, 2005, in forum: Plumbing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    138
    Blackbeard
    Feb 27, 2005
  5. Charles Williams

    NOT ADA BUT ROUND BOWL TOILET THAT IS HIGHER

    Charles Williams, Mar 3, 2005, in forum: Plumbing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    146
    Red Jacket
    May 31, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page