Replacing water intake valve for washing machine

Discussion in 'Misc DIY' started by chemqueries, Feb 22, 2005.

  1. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Hello. My washing machine won't stop filling with water. The previous
    residents of this house left the water faucets open all the time, and I
    believe the valve may be broken (of course, there may be another
    problem, but this is my first thought). I'd like to replace the valve
    and see whether that helps. Before beginning this project, I will turn
    off the water at the main shut off valve for the whole house. Please
    tell me whether I need to turn off the water heater. It is a gas
    powered water heater. I asked several people at the hardware store, and
    they said that I do not need to turn off the water heater, but I'd like
    to hear your thoughts. Also, if you have any other tips on this
    project, please let me know. Thanks.
    chemqueries, Feb 22, 2005
    #1
  2. Leave the valve alone for now. The problem is in the
    washing machine. There's a solenoid assembly that is
    supposed to stay closed till it gets the voltage to open.
    Go to your local library and get a book on appliance
    repair that includes washing machines. The repair is
    easy, the valve solenoid assembly is not very expensive.
    Don't need to turn off the water heater unless you're
    going to be running water out without it being replaced.
    And you probably need to be calling the "water intake
    valve" the "supply valve" instead.
    Not still living in the apartment building, Catherine?

    "chemqueries" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hello. My washing machine won't stop filling with water. The previous
    > residents of this house left the water faucets open all the time, and I
    > believe the valve may be broken (of course, there may be another
    > problem, but this is my first thought). I'd like to replace the valve
    > and see whether that helps. Before beginning this project, I will turn
    > off the water at the main shut off valve for the whole house. Please
    > tell me whether I need to turn off the water heater. It is a gas
    > powered water heater. I asked several people at the hardware store, and
    > they said that I do not need to turn off the water heater, but I'd like
    > to hear your thoughts. Also, if you have any other tips on this
    > project, please let me know. Thanks.
    >
    Michael Baugh, Feb 22, 2005
    #2
  3. "chemqueries" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > . Please
    > tell me whether I need to turn off the water heater. It is a gas
    > powered water heater. I asked several people at the hardware store, and
    > they said that I do not need to turn off the water heater, but I'd like
    > to hear your thoughts.


    No reason to turn it off. You're not draining it and no water will be
    flowing through it.

    Also, if you have any other tips on this
    > project, please let me know. Thanks.


    You may want to check out www.repairclinic.com
    Edwin Pawlowski, Feb 22, 2005
    #3
  4. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Michael Baugh wrote:
    > Leave the valve alone for now. The problem is in the
    > washing machine. There's a solenoid assembly that is
    > supposed to stay closed till it gets the voltage to open.
    > Not still living in the apartment building?
    >

    *************************************************************
    Hi. Thank you for your help. I will look for a book on appliance
    repair. You are right. I moved away from that dreadful apartment, and
    in the process, I've managed to exchange one set of problems for
    another.
    chemqueries, Feb 23, 2005
    #4
  5. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Ed wrote:
    > You have 2 hoses connected to the back of the machine, they are

    connected to
    > the fill valve.
    > Turn off the water for these 2 hoses. Unplug the machine. Replace the

    valve.
    > What brand is it?>
    > If water comes into the machine while it's turned off or unplugged

    then you
    > need the water valve.
    >


    Hi. Thanks for your help. I should have been more specific. Apparently,
    before I moved in, the hot and cold water knobs controlling the two
    hoses at the back of the machine had been left on or open. The previous
    residents turned the water off by pushing the
    pull-to-start/push-to-stop knob on the machine itself rather than
    turning the hot and cold faucets off. When I tried to use the machine,
    I turned the machine on by pulling up on that knob. I assumed that the
    machine would fill to a certain point, and would then stop filling when
    it was ready to go to the next phase of the cycle, but it just kept
    filling. I turned the hot and cold knobs to the hoses off and the
    machine stopped filling. The brand is Kelvinator.
    chemqueries, Feb 23, 2005
    #5
  6. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
    >> No reason to turn it off. You're not draining it and no water will

    be
    > flowing through it.
    >
    > You may want to check out www.repairclinic.com



    Hi. Thanks for your reply. I checked out the repair clinic link. It's
    very helpful.
    chemqueries, Feb 23, 2005
    #6
  7. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Thanks to all of you for your replies. This is definitely one of the
    better Internet newsgroups!
    chemqueries, Feb 23, 2005
    #7
  8. chemqueries wrote:
    > Ed wrote:
    > > You have 2 hoses connected to the back of the machine, they are

    > connected to
    > > the fill valve.
    > > Turn off the water for these 2 hoses. Unplug the machine. Replace

    the
    > valve.
    > > What brand is it?>
    > > If water comes into the machine while it's turned off or unplugged

    > then you
    > > need the water valve.
    > >

    >
    > Hi. Thanks for your help. I should have been more specific.

    Apparently,
    > before I moved in, the hot and cold water knobs controlling the two
    > hoses at the back of the machine had been left on or open. The

    previous
    > residents turned the water off by pushing the
    > pull-to-start/push-to-stop knob on the machine itself rather than
    > turning the hot and cold faucets off. When I tried to use the

    machine,
    > I turned the machine on by pulling up on that knob. I assumed that

    the
    > machine would fill to a certain point, and would then stop filling

    when
    > it was ready to go to the next phase of the cycle, but it just kept
    > filling. I turned the hot and cold knobs to the hoses off and the
    > machine stopped filling. The brand is Kelvinator.


    Hi,

    Something that may help to split up the possible trouble makers...
    http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html

    jeff.
    Appliance Repair Aid
    http://www.applianceaid.com/
    Appliance Repair Aid, Feb 23, 2005
    #8
  9. chemqueries

    chemqueries Guest

    Appliance Repair Aid wrote:
    > > Hi,>

    > Something that may help to split up the possible trouble makers...
    > http://www.applianceaid.com/washer_overfilling.html>
    > jeff.
    > Appliance Repair Aid
    > http://www.applianceaid.com/


    Hi Jeff.

    Thank you for those links!
    chemqueries, Feb 24, 2005
    #9
  10. chemqueries

    Guest

    chemqueries wrote:
    > When I tried to use the machine,
    > I turned the machine on by pulling up on that knob. I assumed that

    the
    > machine would fill to a certain point, and would then stop filling

    when
    > it was ready to go to the next phase of the cycle, but it just kept
    > filling.


    You mean it never went to the agitation cycle even though it was full
    to the point of overflowing? That sounds less like the solenoid valves
    and more like the water level switch, or maybe something else like the
    timer/controller. So let's rule out the valves.

    Begin with the washer empty. Now test the "cold" solenoid valve. Turn
    the hot water hose off at the knob/valve that supplies the hose, and
    turn the cold water knob on. Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the
    temperature knob from "hot" to "cold" and back again a few times. If
    the water alternates between start and then stop completely, you know
    the "cold" solenoid is OK.

    Now test the "hot" solenoid valve. Turn the cold water hose off at the
    knob/valve that supplies the hose, and turn the hot water knob on.
    Cause the washer to fill, and cycle the temperature knob from "hot" to
    "cold" and back again a few times. If the water alternates between
    start and then stop completely, you know the "hot" solenoid is OK.

    Once you have proven the solenoids are the problem or not, you can be
    sure if you need to replace the solenoid valve(s) or look elsewhere.

    %mod%
    , Feb 24, 2005
    #10
  11. chemqueries

    stevef Guest

    if your concerned about the water heater, just turn the control to 'pilot'.
    this will prevent the gas heater from burning and you will not have to
    relight the pilot light.

    just don't forget to turn it back on when you finish.

    "chemqueries" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    Hello. My washing machine won't stop filling with water. The previous
    residents of this house left the water faucets open all the time, and I
    believe the valve may be broken (of course, there may be another
    problem, but this is my first thought). I'd like to replace the valve
    and see whether that helps. Before beginning this project, I will turn
    off the water at the main shut off valve for the whole house. Please
    tell me whether I need to turn off the water heater. It is a gas
    powered water heater. I asked several people at the hardware store, and
    they said that I do not need to turn off the water heater, but I'd like
    to hear your thoughts. Also, if you have any other tips on this
    project, please let me know. Thanks.
    stevef, Feb 24, 2005
    #11

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Dominic

    Replacing washing machine pump

    Dominic, Dec 7, 2003, in forum: Misc DIY
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    648
    Dominic
    Dec 10, 2003
  2. Nick
    Replies:
    7
    Views:
    793
    Andrew Gabriel
    Nov 7, 2006
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    313
  4. conishkee
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    766
    conishkee
    Mar 2, 2011
  5. AndyHenderson
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    684
    AndyHenderson
    Jan 26, 2013
Loading...

Share This Page