Plunge cuts with reciprocating saw

JPS

Reaction score
Is a reciprocating saw appropriate for making 1.5" x 1.5" x 3/4" deep plunge cuts across the front and side faces of 4" x 4" fence posts. I have to cut 44 such tenons and think the saw would be more effective than the wood boring bit I tried. My concern is whether the saw would buck in such a deep cut. Also, would appreciate advice as to the most functional saw features, and whether an oscillating saw would be appropriate. Thanks for your assistance...

Reaction score
Hi JPS

I'm a great fan of the Fein Multimaster (if that's the type of saw you mean) But I wouldn't even consider it for that purpose. It would be far too slow, and in that situation there's nowhere for the sawdust to go. I would think drill bit, and finish off with very sharp chisel is the way to go.

JPS

Reaction score
Hi JPS

I'm a great fan of the Fein Multimaster (if that's the type of saw you mean) But I wouldn't even consider it for that purpose. It would be far too slow, and in that situation there's nowhere for the sawdust to go. I would think drill bit, and finish off with very sharp chisel is the way to go.
Thanks for the reply John. To answer your question, I was thinking of a tool such as the Milwaukee Sawzall. I know such tools are used for clear- through plunge cuts but am uncertain whether they can be used in my application (see attached photo). The groove in my photo was done with a 1.5" wood boring bit, which cut very quickly in a hard wood, however, I then had the extra work of squaring off the curved corners. (Chisels were much too slow, as was grinding with a dremel. Pre-drilling the corners to square them off was effective, but is extra work that I want to avoid, if feasible, since I have to cut 44 more posts.
20150605_163825.jpg

Reaction score
No, the sawzall is not the answer. I think this is one of those cases where the simple old fashioned methods are the beast. Depending on breakfast, I'd probably do all 44 in a few hours. I suspect that one of your problems may be blunt, or poor quality chisels.

Ask a Question