Noisy hot water furnace.

Reaction score
I have a oil fired dry base hot water furnace that is making a popping nice at the furnace itself. The noise starts shortly after the furnace comes on and sometimes last up to 30 seconds after the furnace shuts off. It almost sounds like the water in the furnace is boiling except the controller is set to 180 degrees and the temp gauge on the furnace is also reading 180 degrees. I drained the furnace and opened the hot water chamber and cleaned it out with a wire brush. It did not appear excessively dirty, but did have the slippery black coating you get from years of running. After cleaning the furnace ran quiet for a month or so and is now back to making noise. I am on a well, but I do have a whole house water filter and a water softener on the main water line. Should I be using some kind of additive for the noise or is there something I am missing. The last time I worked on the furnace I just flushed the entire system and that helped again but only for a short period. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Reaction score
If you hear banging when your furnace turns on, there are two likely issues. One is that your duct work is “oil-canning,” or flexing when the pressure changes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
If you hear banging when your furnace turns on, there are two likely issues. One is that your duct work is “oil-canning,” or flexing when the pressure changes.
I was able to fix the furnace by flushing it with lime away,
Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question