Nightmare trying to fit a new light fitting, now in the dark!

Reaction score
Hello, Hubby has tried to put up a nice new light fitting (chandelier) type thing in the bedroom. He is NOT an electrician. Normally there is a small white block in the ceiling with 3 wires to put into them. When he undid this ceiling light there were 9 wires there! He tried so hard to put the night light up, it only had two wires coming out of the lead and they were both clear, so no idea whats what, normally they are red and brown or something!
Coming out of the ceiling hole was 3 white wires ( the same type that hangs down into your room) they all had 3 wires coming out of them. The problem was there was no length on any of these wires, so every time he tried to screw this new light in it just slipped straight back out again as soon as it took the weight of the new light....there wasn't really any length left for us to lengthen it. He gave up and now I have all nine wires poking out the ceiling and no light in the room, but....none of the other bedroom lights work now as well!! When I go to bed i'm struggling in the dark to find my way to the bed to put the lamp on. Any have any idea of what I can do, why I have no light, and how I can get more length on these wires please.

Many thanks, Caz xx

Reaction score
If you didn't forget to switch the power back on in the distribution board or if a fuse didn't go to hell, then it means that those lights were connected as serial. In this case, if you remove a single lamp all others are disconnected.

Ask a Question