Newbie needs help in filling old mortise strike plate and touchup

mkv

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

first of all, I'm glad to be part of this forum.
Excited to learn more from everyone here.

This is my first post, please bear with me.

Recently changed my old mortise to a new Digital mortise lock.

The old mortise was a lot longer than my current Digital mortise.

I filled the extra space occupied by the old mortise with pye wood filla

1) The old space filled by the wood filler looks weak, and unsightly.
What can I do to improve it and level it?

2) The old space from the longer mortise strike plate - I need to fill this with something so that the bottom of my new strike plate can be secured.
It is only secured by 1 screw now.
What can I use and what should I use for strength?

Please see my attached pictures for info. IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG
IMG_1776.JPG

Thank you so much in advance!

Reaction score
Yes, that won't do... Remove the wood filler and the strike plate. I would fill in something like this in steps with thin pieces of wood that I could trim to fit into the space and glue in layers to have a proper piece of wood inside, The lock is secure in its mortise, but in your case, the lock does not have support and could easily be broken into. Mortise locks achieve their strength due to their long contact space. Your's is not support as such. Are those drywall screws?! If they are, get rid of them and get the correct wood screws, the manufacturer should have supplied you with them, if they did not visit a home store or locksmith and get the length you need in what I assume is satin nickel.

Ask a Question